Screen Sharing Leopard to Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by supermacnerd, Oct 8, 2008.

1. supermacnerd macrumors newbie

I am trying to find the easiest way to share and control a screen running the Tiger operating system from a computer running Leopard 10.5.5 on it? I have been relentless on researching this but would like to not have the customer download anything..ie Chicken of the VNC etc...I was hoping to use the Screen Sharing App in Leopard and just type in there IP Address? Obviously its not that easy..any suggestions here would be appreciated. I also am aware of the Sharing Prefs that need to be checked on both ends but please chime in if you can give me any guidance of the best method to do this.

Thanks
    :apple:

2. jdwingnut macrumors regular

I believe Screen sharing is a feature of Leopard only.

There are however 3rd party apps that would do what it sounds like you want. Look for remote access software. Timbuktu comes to mind and there's Remote Access from Apple. Not sure how they all work though.

Screen Sharing is pretty slick. My kids hate it :D

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Enable the VNC viewer password and you can connect using the IP address or hostname using Chicken of the VNC.

4. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

5. supermacnerd thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not want to have any 3rd party apps involved if possible. I was hoping to do it strictly through the MAC. If I do need to have a 3rd Party everybody seems to say Chicken of the VNC..is best. Is this easy to configure for the end user...do they have to do anything at all? I am going to be the moderator of several lessons and would like to be able to have full control of the clients screens without the clients having to do anything but tell me there IP Address...is this possible or do they have to download something?

6. supermacnerd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Samarium for the TEAM VIEWER post...that is really what I am looking for!!! I will give it a try any limitations? Is the response working over the internet pretty good. Can you transfer files to the client and install applications on there machines over the internet with installers from the Host Machine?

7. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I'm really pleased to hear that you find what you were looking. The response is great. AFAIK, there are no limitations apart from no audio until now. You can send files but can't install something from your computer to the other one you're controlling because the file doesn't exists there. It's practically like being in front of that computer and using it.

8. supermacnerd thread starter macrumors newbie

No audio huh..I guess I could use iChat for an Audio Chat..and in terms of installing on the guest machine..since this program cannot do this is there one that can? Or is there a way for me to say run the program from my machine and have it effect there machine?

9. supermacnerd thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you ever messed around with gotomypc.com? I tried that works pretty good as well..but like this Team Viewer App. I have yet to try it out yet but looks like its exactly what I want..if they would only stop advertising after you quit out! HA..I guess its free so I can't complain, and looks like the paid version gets rid of that

10. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I really doubt that's possible. Keep your hopes up though. :)