screen sharing login problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, Apr 22, 2010.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Hello! Just got a new MBP and migrated my account from my MB using Migration Assistant. Everything works, but if I try using screen sharing/Back to My Mac from ANY of my other Macs in the house to my new MBP, I cannot log in using my short name.

Can log in and screen share using my full name, but prefer three letters over many. Everything else works fine; can even file share using short name, just not screen sharing. Can anyone help??

thanks!
    Mark

2. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem ==> Solution

Tried a few things, the first three did not work. The fourth did!

[1] Simple reboot. No luck.
    [2] Disk Utility > Repair Permissions. Permissions repaired, a few files were fixed. Shut down, then started up. No luck.
    [3] Reset ACL using Install DVD. Shut down, then started up. No luck.
    [4] Trashed System Configuration Preferences:
    Finder>Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences>System Configuration

THIS WORKED!!

Took entire folder, moved to trash. Then shut down computer, waited 30 seconds (since this is a network issue, wanted to give AirPort router a chance to clear cache). Started up. Since System Configuration folder was in trash, Mac automatically built up new preferences. I needed to turn the MacBook Pro airport back on, and relogin to my network. Also needed to turn Screen Sharing back on (System Preferences>Sharing).

Anyhow, the bottom line here is if your Mac is acting funny, and if all else fails, often times trashing your existing preferences for that specific application or system function will correct the problem.

Best wishes and good luck to all!!

Mark