Screen Sharing Multiple Monitors (Zoom?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SCSnare, Sep 24, 2010.

1. SCSnare macrumors member

I use Screen Sharing through iChat to access my Mac Pro from home on my MBP or Mini. The problem is my Mac Pro has two monitors, and it's virtually impossible to read any text with both screens squeezed onto my single single laptop screen or my TV. Is there any way to zoom in while using the Screen Sharing application? I've tried the usual ctrl+scroll to zoom, but it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

don't know the answer to your post, but how do you get ichat working w/o mobileme? - never had any luck

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

AIM works fine with iChat.

Op, I have the same problem. Gave up on a solution a while ago.

4. SCSnare thread starter macrumors member

Not sure what you mean exactly. I just created a new @mac account in iChat for my work computer, set it to only allow specific people (my main AIM account) and then, in Alerts, set it to run the "Automatically Allow" AppleScript when someone asks to screen share. So as long as I have my Mac Pro running and have that iChat account connected, I can screen share.

But like I said, no way way to zoom in makes it very difficult to navigate. I could change the resolution of the screens of my Mac Pro when I connect to it remotely, but that will mess up a lot of my window placement / layouts of applications I have open.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I don't go through iChat but do use the Screen Sharing application in OS X (either locally, remotely with VPN or remotely using VNC over SSH). Screen Sharing has options (check the View menu) for selecting a single monitor as well as a full size and zoom-to-fit choice.

Edited to add -- if iChat's screen sharing doesn't have this capability and you don't want to use MobileMe, set up SSH, or VPN services, there's an easy way out -- get ShareTool. It's $20 and will give full access to a remote network (screen sharing, disk drives, printers).

6. SCSnare thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion about ShareTool. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

7. SCSnare thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion talmy. I've decided to use ShareTool and it works great. It's really easy and it does exactly what I was looking for.