Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ Dilbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
New problem:

When typing vnc://[ipaddress] I can remote to my desktop Mac.

However, when typing vnc://[name.domain] I get the following error:

Connection failed to “name.domain”. Please make sure that Screen Sharing (in the Sharing section of System Preferences) is enabled on the computer to which you are attempting to connect (which it is). Also make sure your network connection is working properly (which it is).​

I need the name.domain one to work since our IP addresses change frequently.

Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
New problem:

When typing vnc://[ipaddress] I can remote to my desktop Mac.

However, when typing vnc://[name.domain] I get the following error:

Connection failed to “name.domain”. Please make sure that Screen Sharing (in the Sharing section of System Preferences) is enabled on the computer to which you are attempting to connect (which it is). Also make sure your network connection is working properly (which it is).​

I need the name.domain one to work since our IP addresses change frequently.

Thanks
Not sure why you started a new thread on this. Using name.domain isn't going to work unless those are configured as entries in a DNS server and are regular domain names.
There are a number of products which will do what you need, but they aren't free for business use, and will depend on running software on the machine to which you'll be connecting.

DJ Dilbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure why you started a new thread on this. Using name.domain isn't going to work unless those are configured as entries in a DNS server and are regular domain names.
There are a number of products which will do what you need, but they aren't free for business use, and will depend on running software on the machine to which you'll be connecting.

They are entries in the DNS server and are regular domain names. That's why I'm confused as to why they won't work.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
They are entries in the DNS server and are regular domain names. That's why I'm confused as to why they won't work.

are the domains a .com domain or something else? It's hard to solve without knowing exactly what you have.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Well what else should I be looking for to use?

Because dropping the .local doesn't work either.

It's a shortcoming of the decisions your company made when they set up their Windows network. There's nothing you can do aside from running software on your computer which connects to a service that will update the address and hostname of your computer.
Something like No-IP might work, if your company's network allows it. http://www.noip.com/free

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.