Screen Sharing problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blorg, Mar 2, 2008.

1. blorg macrumors newbie

I have two machines, a G4 Digital Audio and a MacBook, both running 10.5.2. For a long while now, I've had Screen Sharing working between the two, but for some reason, I can no longer view the screen on my G4 from my Macbook using the Apple Screen Share application. The other way around works fine. I can connect via VNC using JollysFast VNC. Chicken of the VNC connects and immediately disconnects with "Connection Terminated - The server closed the connection".

This is with both boxes on the same network, plugged into the same switch, even. There are no firewalls enabled on either host or on the internal part of my network.

I have tried with BTTM enabled and disabled, both signed into my .mac account and not.

I can connect to the host via the Finder browser which will let me view/edit/copy files back and forth, but when I click on the 'Share Screen' button, I get:

"Connect failed to "g4hostname".

Please make sure that Screen Sharing (in the Sharing section of System Preferences) is enabled on the computer you're attempting to connect to. Also make sure your network connection is working properly.

It is enabled and my network otherwise works fine. I don't have any other VNC server software (like Vine, etc) running on the G4.

Ideas? Other debugging I can do?

-blorg

2. blorg thread starter macrumors newbie

solved

Well, I was frustrated since I didn't have any other systems to test against when I remembered that I did have a Mac at work I could try screen-sharing from my macbook with. I wanted to see if it was something wrong with the Macbook side or the G4. I couldn't get Screen Sharing working with the work Mac either.

So, as a shot in the dark, I removed ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.ScreenSharing.plist and tried again. It worked!

I re-wrote my preferences (I think I got these from Lifehacker.com, maybe osxhints.com, don't rightly recall):

defaults write com.apple.ScreenSharing 'NSToolbar Configuration ControlToolbar' -dict-add 'TB Item Identifiers' '(Scale,Control,Share,Curtain,Capture,FullScreen,GetClipboard,SendClipboard,Quality)'

And life is all better.

-blorg