Screen Sharing remotely

Discussion in 'macOS' started by frankm007, Oct 29, 2007.

1. frankm007 macrumors regular

Is it possible to connect to your mac at home and screen share remotely?

2. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

In System Prefernces>Sharing there is an option to turn Screen Sharing to "on" but I have no idea how to connect to it remotely after doing that....

Maybe someone else can fill us in...?

3. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

You'll need the VNC port forwarded on your router to you computer running leopard. Then you can use a VNC client to connect, or if the client you are using is a Leopard computer you can use /System/Library/CoreServices/ScreenSharing.app (something like that, it is in that folder at least)

4. frankm007 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be using the ScreenSharing app, but how do I forward the VNC port? I've got a linksys router by the way. THanks!

5. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Ok so in easy terms... If I setup my iMac screen share to ON at another location... How do I access that iMac? They VNC router # it gave me was a standard router address (192.168.1.....) so I don't see how I can connect to it...? Do I need to know the external ip address of that computer? If so, if there are 3 computers on that network using 1 cable modem, how do I tell it to use computer #1 out of the 3? Also, most people use dynamic IPs so do I have to look up the IP everyday that I want to use Screen Share remotely?

Hopefully someone can put the answers to these questions in an easy-to-use little "guide"... Thanks!

6. cardsdoc macrumors regular

I have not yet used screen sharing remotely. However it should work. You first need to register for a dynamic IP service like the free DnyDNS (www.dyndns.com) and setup their software on the remote mac (I think they have a widget) which will autoupdate the IP. When you register for the service you choose a static name based IP (ie myname.dyndns.org). You then have to forward the correct VNC port on your router to the local IP of your remote mac. Usually this is TCP port 5900. Then you should be able to remotely connect using myname.dyndns.org. This works with other remote software like VNC or Microsoft remote desktop. I'm making the assumption it will work with Leopard's screen sharing which is VNC based.

7. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I understand everything except the port forwarding.

Whenever I use port forwarding its because my router is blocking a program and I need it to go through. So are you just telling me to let VNC go through and the port that it uses is 5900?

8. cardsdoc macrumors regular

Yes. You are telling the router to open up that port AND forward it to the designated computer on the local network. The procedure to do this is different for every router. Also I don't know for sure that 5900 is the correct port but that is typical for VNC. What kind of router do you have?

9. cardsdoc macrumors regular

UPDATE: I only have one mac but I just successfully connected remotely (using my dyndns address) from a windows pc to my MacBook Pro with Leopard using a standard VNC viewer. I set TCP port 5900 to forward. This should work just as well if not better from mac to mac.

10. pcorajr macrumors 6502

Marking this for klater use,

I am also going to try this since I do not have a Mac at work i would still like to be able to VNC into my computer.

11. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

cardsdoc- Doing it from a PC, you can login as use the MAC as if you are there at the computer? Not just file share?

12. cardsdoc macrumors regular

Yes, the PC (or whatever computer) essentially becomes a terminal for the remote computer. That is the purpose of VNC. You may have to play with the resolution of the remote mac to get it to fill the screen appropriately. Leopard to Leopard may auto adjust resolution - not sure. I'm also not sure if you can actually file share though. My VNC viewer (RealVNC) is very simple and you cannot. Perhaps with Leopard to Leopard there are more options.

13. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I would think w/o these 3rd party services, there would be a simple way to just remote in. Like remote assistance in Windows

14. cardsdoc macrumors regular

Only if you have a static IP address. If you have a .mac account I think you can do it from mac to mac (this new "back to my mac" feature). However, even Windows remote assistance relies on a static IP so if it changes it won't work.

15. wmeleis macrumors newbie

Screen sharing

Hi,

I am also trying to get screen sharing to work from Mac #1 to Mac #2. Mac #2 is on a home network behind a Westell router, and Mac #1 is on the internet.

I am using DynDNS to get the router's ip address, and I have enabled screen sharing on both Macs.

I understand that I need to forward port 5900 from the router to Mac #2 -- but the router apparently needs to know the ip address of Mac #2. This address is assigned by DHCP and presumably will change.

Is there a way to forward the port *without* assigning Mac #2 a static ip address? I believe that assigning Mac #2 a static ip address will cause it to not work if it moves to a different network that uses different ip ranges, right?

Thanks

16. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Are guys with problems on Tiger or Leopard?

I'm on Leopard and all I had to do was turn on Screen sharing then click the Mac in the sidebar and click share screen and I was in. :confused:

I even had Mocha VNC on my iPhone until they updated it and it kept crashing my phone. I had no problems with screen sharing on that either.