Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wannabeartist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Finland
Hi!

I'm trying to use my Macbook from my PC using VNC.

It works, but I can only get the native resolution of the Macbook, 1280x800 - is there anyway to change it? I have a big display and I could really use a higher resolution.

I have tried the default screen sharing and Vine on the mac side (server) and realvnc and ultravnc for client on the PC but I can't figure out how to change the resolution.

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I prefer using TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use.

wannabeartist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Finland
Thanks,

I'm sure it's great, but if I understood correctly it's rather expensive for business use. I have a one-man business so I guess I don't qualify for a private user. Should have mentioned that first, sorry.

If there are any cheaper not to mention free alternatives that work as well, I would love to know.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks,

I'm sure it's great, but if I understood correctly it's rather expensive for business use. I have a one-man business so I guess I don't qualify for a private user. Should have mentioned that first, sorry.

If there are any cheaper not to mention free alternatives that work as well, I would love to know.
I see. You didn't mention that you were using it for business purposes.

From the TeamViewer site:
What is considered commercial use?
Basically commercial use is anything where money is involved, so this mainly covers all situations where you use TeamViewer for job-related issues.

Examples for non-commercial use:
- Helping or supporting friends and relatives
- Connecting to your private home pc from school, university or vacation

Examples for commercial use:
- Helping or supporting customers or colleagues at work
- Connecting to your company pc or server from your home office

If you feel in doubt about correct use, please contact our support staff.

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I don't know that any VNC solutions are going to help you with that particular problem. What exactly are you accessing? Maybe there's a better way that would allow you to take advantage of your screen real estate more efficiently.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.