Screen Sharing / Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by martinmartin, Feb 27, 2008.

1. martinmartin macrumors 6502

I currently have a MBP and I just bought a Mac Mini that I'm going to hook up to my 50in HDTV. (Both computers have leopard)

I know there are several ways to 'connect' to my mini ; Screen Sharing, VNC, iChat.

I want to use a program that will allow me to transfer applications from my MBP to my Mini. Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Also, I would like to control my Mini from my MBP while I'm away from home.

I assume iChat is out because no one will be at home with the Mini to "accept" my request to share.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my situation?

Thanks...

2. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

I can think of three options:

1) Get a .mac account.
    2) Find a good File Sync program and invest in that.
    3) Turn on File Sharing for both computers and grab the afp. [ This may only work if you're on the same network. I haven't tested it to know for sure. ]

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Assuming they're both on Leopard, the built-in screen sharing is exactly what you want for remote control. You could use VNC instead, but in my experience with both Screen Sharing works significantly better (probably since it's built on Apple's own RDC). Just enable it on the Mini and connect using the button in the Finder--that's how I control the G4 server in my closet, and it works flawlessly.

As for moving data (apps), why not just the built-in filesharing? Share the mini's drive, connect to it from the laptop, drag files over, and you're good. You can kick in remote control and do whatever you want with the apps once they're moved.

The only part that might take a few minutes to set up is forwarding a port on your router if you want control from outside your home network. Otherwise it'll be running in maybe two minutes.

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

FYI... Screen Sharing IS VNC.

5. aeryk71 macrumors newbie

aeryk71

Remote Control from outside

Also, to control your mac when away from home (or wherever it lives) you can check out logmein.com and their free or pro version. It allows you to control macs or pcs via a simple web interface through a small application that runs resident using very little resources.

Aeryk

(I do not work for logmein.com I just happily use their service) :D