Screen sharing shows "Connected as: VNC"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markw10, Mar 30, 2008.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    I just set OS X Leopard (10.5.2) up on my MBP again. I also use it on another MBP, a Mac Pro, and a Mac Mini but have an odd problem. I set up Back to my Mac but didn't see up file sharing, only screen sharing. Whenever I connect to the MBP from another computer on the network it says "Connected as: VNC" I don't remember that from before and whenever I connect to another other computers on my network I don't get this message. What does this mean? Is this something I should be concerned about?
  2. tbohlsennswssrg macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2007
    Roseville, Sydney, NSW, Australia
    It's probably because the Screen Sharing feature using the V.N.C Protocol to connect to another computer :D
  3. jasonbrennan macrumors member

Jul 12, 2006
    No, normally this view in Finder is supposed to say "Connected as: Your Username", show you a button to Share Screen, and also show you your files.

I've just updated to 10.5.5 on both my Macs and now I'm getting this problem and I can't for the life of me figure it out.
  4. warnerl macrumors newbie

Feb 3, 2010
    My workaround

The target computer must have file sharing selected, and the user name that you intend to use added. You can find this under system preferences > sharing > (then select which folder you want to share)

Larry Warner