Screen sharing takes three tries to connect!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robson, Mar 16, 2011.

1. robson macrumors newbie

I have two MBPs on the same network in my apartment, call them MBP A and MBP B. When I try to screen share MBP B's screen on MBP A, the window that asks for the name and password to share the screen of MBP B pops up. I fill out the correct name and password, but then when I click connect, I get an "Authentication failed" message and it asks me to enter the name and password again. This repeats two more times, and then on the third time, I am able to connect successfully and share MBP B's screen. After the connection is established, there are no other problems.

This is starting to drive me crazy. I have disabled and enabled screen sharing, but I dont know what else to do?

Does anyone know what is going on here?

2. robson thread starter macrumors newbie

Both computers are running snow leopard btw.

No one else has this problem?

3. softasfur macrumors newbie

softasfur

Solution

Log in as another user on the computer you are trying to connect to. Screen share to that computer using the other log in credentials. If that works, log back in and you should be working. Worked for me.

4. maxswisher macrumors newbie

This might not be very helpful, but screen sharing is not a very good/reliable application.

5. softasfur macrumors newbie

softasfur

Change FULL NAME

Also.... Screen Sharing has a hard time resolving connections when the FULL NAME is the same on different machines. The Full Name is found in Sys Prefs, Accounts, Full Name. Full Name is different than Account name. I set mine up on each of my computers as NameMBA, NameIMAC, NameETC.

Make sure you log out and log in as another user to test connection. (I used the guest account) Took me 2 times, but now it works all the time.