Screen Sharing to Linux and copy/paste

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by vrungel, Jul 31, 2014.

1. vrungel macrumors newbie

I'm successfully able to connect to a Linux box using Screen Sharing and copy/paste from Linux to Mac. I'm unable to copy/paste from Mac to Linux. Other VNC clients, such as Chicken, can copy/paste in both directions. It also works when Screen Sharing between two Macs. Has anyone been able to resolve this?

2. 960design macrumors 68020

I'll check it out for you this evening. I run multiple Linux servers that are screen shared via Safari. I thought I copy and pasted all the time, but actually cannot think of a specific instance where I have. Mostly FTP work because the servers are headless.

3. vrungel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Any luck?

4. 960design macrumors 68020

No! You are absolutely correct.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. This thread dropped from memory until today, when I was copying and pasting from Mac to Ubuntu.

I CANNOT copy from Ubuntu and paste into Mac via screen sharing when the Mac is the client.

5. vrungel thread starter macrumors newbie

ah bummer. I assume you mean you cannot copy from Mac to Ubuntu because I know it works the other way around (at least for me)? Either way, it sucks considering Apple claiming compatibility with VNC, an industry standard: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14148?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

6. 960design macrumors 68020

Indeed your are correct. Accidental reversal. I CANNOT copy from Mac to Ubuntu! So sorry for the confusion.

7. Rookwood macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting here.

I too found that, by running "vncconfig -display :<display-number>", I could copy from Linux (CentOS) to Mac. (Yay! That's half the battle!)

But I can't paste from Mac to Linux.

FWIW, I've sent Feedback to Apple OS X area via http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I think in the past I got around this by using Chicken of the VNC which worked better than "Screen Sharing" in several ways. But since I've moved to Yosemite and got a Retina display, "Screen Sharing" is working much better in all other ways. I think that this is a longstanding problem. Sure with they'd fix it.

8. dyt1983, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.