Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2007
I was wondering if there was a way to require approval from the end user before starting a screen sharing session?

I know you can turn on the Menu Bar icon to show when you are being "watched" but this is not good enough.

I need to be able to remotely access/support the Macs in my workplace but security requirements dictater that the end user approve the request for remote access before control can be given so they know there is another user logged on and monitoring their session.

Can this be done either natively or with a 3rd party application (I'm trying to avoid using TeamViewer, etc)?

estutmirleid

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
I'm not sure how you're trying to connect now, but I just turned on Screen Sharing on a Mac running 10.8.2 and attempted to connect from a MBP running 10.8.2. I was given the message that the machine was currently in use and I could choose between viewing the current user's desktop, or log in as the admin user and not interact with or disturb the current user at all. If I chose the former the current user HAD to grant permission before I could continue.

If you don't see this behaviour it may be because both my machines use the same Apple ID and this, somehow, logs me into the shared Mac automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.