Screen Sharing? Watching a movie together?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SVTHorsnake, Nov 1, 2011.

1. SVTHorsnake macrumors newbie

I'm in law school in Washington and my girlfriend's in Utah. I have a new MacBook Pro and she has an older one. Is there a way she can see my screen when I play a movie so we can watch a movie together? If so, is there also a way to do so while video chatting?

Thanks in advance.

2. Summersify macrumors member

Depending on both of your internet's speed, you could get quite good results out of using Skype and its screen sharing option. It is quite dependent on the speed of said internet, if it isn't pretty fast for both of you, the frame rate could be anywhere from OK to appalling on her end.
    You guys can talk while watching it, but only she would be able to put on video.

Sorry that I can't think of anything better, but because she's far away from you, you can't really use anything else apart from an IM application and screen share on a call.

Jack.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't know about locally-stored movies, but doesn't Netflix have a viewing party feature? Like synchronized playback? You could be watching a Netflix video, and running skype or facetime for chatting.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Good answer! That's what I was thinking of.

Or you could always both have the same movie in on each machine and do a 3-2-1 countdown to clicking Play!