Screen sharing woes (no monitor)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Killerbob, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

I have an older Mac Pro, which I am not using for anything, so I got the great idea to set it up for remote access and use it for downloads etc. It has NO keyboard, no mouse, and no monitor hooked up to it, and I am having a problem:

When I try and connect to it using Share Screen (from the Finder) I often get a blank window, and sometimes a skewed one. I can't work in that environment. However, I also have TeamViewer installed, and using that tool it works fine. I have full control, and can see everything. Unfortunately TeamViewer uses the internet and is slow.

I can use Share Screen onto all my other Macs, just not the Mac Pro.

Having tried to sort this out on my own for a few days, I have found out that I am moving around the mouse, I just don't see that. I figured that out by being on TeamViewer whilst tring to use Share Screen as well.

I realise it has something to do with the Mac Pro not having a monitor hooked out, I jsut wonder if there is a way around this problem?

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Google "headless mac pro". You will find articles which tell you how to make a dongle - maybe even buy one - which fools your mac pro into thinking it has a monitor connected. It's really silly that there seems to be no software solution.