Screen Sharing won't work without a Password on Account??

nebulight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I just finished installing 10.5 and in the finder when I try to share a screen, I put in a user name, but the account doesn't have a password and it won't connect. I tried to add a password and then reconnect and it worked fine.

My question, does the account HAVE to have a password in order to work? That kinda disappoints me as some members of the house don't want a password.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
THAT would explain why my wife's MacBook won't let me screen share in Finder. The option doesn't even show up. But when I did it through iChat, which required user authentication, it worked fine.

nebulight

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I would sure hope that they don't allow access on accounts with no password.
I guess I could always just go around to each computer and add an account with a password to enable me to get screen access.

But I don't see how it would be foolish, you enable what you can do with screen sharing, so I don't really think it would be any different than remote desktop, which you CAN connect without a password.

EDIT. I just created an account for sharing only, that way it won't confuse the non computer savvy people in the house at the login window ;)

EDIT2. Well, that didn't work. Looks like it has to be an admin account. Lame

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.