Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Hi everybody. With MobileMe and back to my Mac, I have no problem personally making the setup work. However, for a client of mine, we are having partial problems with it.

She has a brand new iMac and a MacBook Pro, all running the latest Snow Leopard build. From within the office, on Finder, I can discover both computers and launch screen sharing. That way, both the iMac can control the MBP and vice versa. The iMac which sits at the office can also see the MBP when it's at home and screen share.

However, other computers like the MBP, once outside of the office, cannot see the iMac and initiate screen sharing. It only works the other way around. Any thoughts?

Screen sharing also works no problem with iChat, even if say the MBP is outside of the office and the iMac is in the office.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
First of all, spending more $$ for an Apple Airport Extreme will make all of your problems go away with easy config and use... Plus you get the added bonus of knowing you are helping Apple make more $$ :)

What kind of modem / router setup does your client have?

Give this a read: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1552

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Thanks for the reply so far. Getting an Airport Extreme was going to be my backup plan.

However, after seeing how within the office, I could dial both machines and the machines can dial out of the office, just not the other way around, I assumed that it maybe some weird setting somewhere or a blocked port. There is a ton of port forwarding going on.

Having said that, they have an old Belkin Router. This guy I believe:
http://www.myessentialssupport.com/product/?pid=ME1004-R

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Yeah you might have to check with the admin of the network at the office, to see if it is blocking a port or something. I use BTMM to connect an iMac at school to my home MBP. Everything works fine both ways except I cannot remotely wake the iMac, instead I have to set it to just never go to sleep.

It could be that the iMAc is not connected to "apple" routing hardware (since it's wired to the school ethernet), but I have been able to send the magic packet to the iMac via other means (direct IP and MAC address) and it has worked. So, not really sure if it is port/service blocking or what.

Ruahrc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.