Screen sharing - would you consider this a bug + copying

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xUKHCx, Nov 25, 2007.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I have a MB and an iMac and I am loving the screen sharing feature built into Leopard, brilliant that this feature got passed down from Server. One slight issue though is that the imac is set to Dvoark input and the MB is set to qwerty. Now when I enter text or commands to the iMac from the MB the commands/text aren't translated to the other input system. I personally consider this a bug but wondered what others people feelings are.

I know this is a bit of a weird setup but I am still getting used to touch typing in dvoark and at the moment i need the speed that I have from both touch + looking at the keys to write and the iMac keybaord was very easy to mod but I don't want to mess with my new macbook just yet.

Also is there a way to copy documents across so that it works like parallels, I know you can "get clipboard" but that doesn't seem to work on documents.

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Yeah, that is weird. My girlfriend uses dvorak and I use qwerty and we were just able to repro this issue between her iBook and my MacBook Pro. however, she's used screen sharing a few times to help her mom (Mac Mini, qwerty) and that has worked fine. She says that she recalls getting qwerty/dvorak confusion when she typed in TextEdit, but closing and re-opening TextEdit "fixed the glitch"

It seems like the problem is inconsistent. Is your iMac PPC or Intel?

3. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Intel, interesting that it is inconsistent, I half thought that it was a decision made at apple to not translate. It happens in all applications all over the OS. This is with multiple attempts on different days and both with fresh reboots etc. Hence my thinking. Although it is consistently wrong in my case.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Through iChat and an iMac & PPC, the way my father and I copy documents is to drag and drop. Works just like in Expose. After you drop it'll open a file transfer dialog.

5. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This is what i tried and expect to be the default behaviour but when Screen sharing is launched from Finder over the local network it doesn't do this.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ahh, I'll have to try it with my wife's MB.

[edit]Ok, copying documents (rtf) doesn't work for me either using Finder's Screen sharing. But if you're on the network you can always us the Public Folder > Drop Box. That worked fine. Maybe adding some feedback to Apple will fix this glaring bug AND allow super drag and drop behavior.

7. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I already submitted a bug report/feature request on radar regarding the copying and have since added one regarding the input translation.

8. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Update: I got a response from the Bug report regarding transalation, basically they consider it a feature that the key strokes do not get translated so if you don't know both then you are left guessing what key is pressed at the other end. :rolleyes: