Screen shattered, what's the real solution?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by soco, Dec 14, 2009.

1. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I've heard and read about 15 different answers to this one.

Some from Apple themselves, others from AT&T both in-store and on the phone, some friends and forum buddies, and even a wild claim from someone claiming to work for Apple's R&D department (don't ask).

I, being the owner of a 3GS, am clearly within my one-year warranty. My phone's screen has shattered due to kissing the pavement at an alarming speed.

Right now, I have a screen protector over the glass to keep my fingers free of blood and glass.

I have not had a phone replacement for this model since it's purchase in July.

All told, I can't get a solid grasp on the answer to this question:

What's the cheapest option for me to have a working 3GS in my hands?

As I said, I've been told many things. Mainly I'm interested in TUAW.com (sorry I know I've cheated on MacRumors) and their article or rumor about free replacements for broken screens.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/07/06/apple-stores-will-replace-broken-iphone-displays/

I've also heard this is horribly false and only pertains to water-damaged phones.

I can financially swing a $200 screen replacement but I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. I've also heard there's a $100 phone-swap kind of deal.

Anyhow, what's the solid truth on all this? What options am I looking at?

Edit: PS. Please forgive my "newbie" registration and immediate post. I am a long-time MR reader and forum member, but I can't seem to get my account password back so I gave up and re-registered.

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Apple won't replace the screen for you. It is, unfortunately, your fault the iPhone got damaged and they are in no way liable for the repair without charging you to do so.

It is entirely up to you how you want to deal with the problem with your options being, get Apple to repair (I am unsure of the cost, I do repairs myself) or get it repaired at a standard repair centre (not Apple) or repair it yourself by purchasing the parts off the internet or just buy a new phone off Apple, Craigslist, eBay or anywhere else that you can think of.

Which ever way you look at it, it's going to cost you $200+ to get a working iPhone again.

Good luck.

3. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Theres also many sites online that would replace your screen for around $80-120 including shipping.
    You send them the iphone, they repair and mail it back.

5. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento