Screen Shattered!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaptainCannabis, Apr 20, 2008.

1. CaptainCannabis macrumors regular

So yesterday while walking down the street I was talking to a friend on my precious iphone... sadly when I finished and was putting it back into my pocket it fell to the floor and the screen got shattered. The phone still works but the screen is completely shattered. I've been using it for the past day and there is a part on the screen where there is a very small piece of glass missing and it cut my finger... I'm afraid the rest of the glass will complete come off, and the phone looks really bad like this...

Does anyone know if the warranty covers the shattering of the screen?

If not Ill downgrade my current AT&T plan, use a normal phone and wait until the new one comes out..

Thanks!

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It is not covered under warranty. Apple will replace the iPhone for $249 and you will get a new iPhone.

There are cheaper ways like do it yourself, but I think that will void your warranty since the iPhone would need to be opened.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would recommend catching the Pope while he's still in the country and seeing if he can fix it. If not, you're probably screwed.

Please don't post any graphic images here. This is a family Web site and we don't want to see the brutal reality of the death of an iPhone. :)

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The iPope is a very very blessed man, buy sadly, I don't think fixing screens on iPhones is one of his specialties. ;)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the Apple warranty covers defects but not user faults like physical damage or water damage etc...
    You can get the screen replaced but it would cost over a few hundred.

6. scott99 macrumors 6502a

I really can not understand people not protecting their investments. I know the iPhone is beautiful, but I had a case before I even got the phone. I got my phone when they reduced the price way back in August (or whenever it was, got my phone Sept 13th). So I paid $399, and I couldn't imagine not protecting it. It just boggles my mind that some people paid $599 and don't protect it. Dropping cellphones is such a common occurance, so why wouldn't you protect such a breakable, expensive object ? I can't tell you how many threads I've seen here about people breaking or scratching their screens, lol.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Better yet, I believe that there exist very cheap insurance plans that cover accidental damage. I'm certainly going to look into one when I get mine.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Dropping and breaking the iPhone is actually a rare occurrence. It just seems like it happens more often because when you read complaints on a forum about this, you get a skewed viewpoint. People typically post questions and complaints here, they don't post threads that say: "I used my iPhone today: I checked my mail, made a couple of calls, and browsed to CNN, MacRumors, and ESPN. Then I changed my ringtone and listened to the Hockeycentral podcast."

The iPhone is not an investment. It does not increase in value. It is a disposable product. An expensive product, but still disposable. I prefer the look and feel of it without a case. I don't like how any of the cases look- I feel it cheapens the look of the phone. To me, it's worth the risk to go case-less. I would bet that even with a case, if you drop your iphone from a few feet onto, let's say, concrete, there's a good chance that the impact would probably cause the glass screen to shatter anyway, due to the shockwaves created by the impact.

I didn't buy a silicone or leather case to put on my car, and I'll bet there are more car accidents daily than iPhone drops.

/just sayin'

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I've dropped mine quite a few times and my iPhone works perfectly.

10. CaptainCannabis thread starter macrumors regular

I have dropped it a million times and nothing happened to it, but this was the definitive one...

So what should I do? Go to the apple store to get it replaced or wait until the 3G comes out?

11. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't wait. It is doubtful that the replacements will be 3G for a while. It could take months or even years before Apple has used up all its 2G refurbs. Just think, even if the 3G is out, all the 2G's that haven't been sold will most likely become refurbs.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

I think he meant that he would either get his shattered iPhone repaired/replaced right now, or wait until the 3G iPhone comes out and buy that one.

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You can try repairing it yourself. It'll void the warranty, but if you're going 3G anyway would it matter?