Screen shield on 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by W00DI, Sep 16, 2009.

?

Do you have a screen shield?

1. Yes...it helps so much

34 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. No.. you don't need one.

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. W00DI macrumors member

Who has a 3gs with a screen protector on? If so what kind? Does it really matter that much? Does it ruin the olephobic coating?

2. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I have whole body protector from Bodyguardz.com
    I have been very happy with it. It does not affect form or function.

3. brn2prgrm macrumors member

Full BodyGuardz here as well and completely satisfied. Although it does seem to come off in a few places after using a holster with it.

4. firedogut macrumors regular

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I had one on for about 30 mins. after I got my 3GS because the fine people at AT&T offered to install it for me (I HATE putting them on and am awful at it). I got home and was all set to gloat on MR about how I already had my iPhone home & was about to sync it (this was at about 7:30 am on launch day) and read something about how others were being told not to use screen protectors because the effect on the oleophobic coating was unknown. I immediately removed mine and haven't looked back since. Screen is perfect and I can't imagine using protection now, but that's me. :)

6. Character macrumors newbie

7. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I've had my 3GS since opening day, keep it in my pocket with a simple leather ultra-case, and I have no scratches on the screen. I had one on my 1st gen iPhone and asked the rep if I needed one. He pulled out his keys and said "don't try this at home" and dragged it back and forth on a new iPod touch model and said -- you don't need one. I went with it and it seems to be fine.

I found that the cases and screen protector changed the feel of the screen (at least on the old model where I used one). If you are nervous about it though it doesn't seem like it can hurt and it's pretty inexpensive as a % of the phone.

8. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

+1 for Zagg InvisiShied

Swear by the stuff!

9. dread macrumors 6502a

yes but all it takes is one grain of sand in your pocket to scratch the screen. I got a scratch on my first phone and it was horrible as it changes the way color of the pixels is perceived. In other words its very noticable when your looking at the screen.

10. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Agreed and I certainly do not want to talk anyone out of spending the small money on protection. To be clear, if you are worried, buy the cover.

I've taken this on 7 trips, 30+ days, 4 countries, and ~35,000 miles in the last few months. In and out of pockets, stuffed in my laptop back during 13 hour flights, banged around, etc.. and the screen has held up great. (my phone does have a rattle sound in it though that others have reported as well).

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

ONLY buy the kid that uses static to stay on.

12. billrobert macrumors newbie

I have whole body protector from Bodyguardz.com

13. larapumkin macrumors regular

It's a must!!!
    i have steinheil anti-fingerprint on mine :)

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

PS Crystal for me. Its not about fingerprints, its about scratches, and it's not worth the chance to me.

15. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

PS anti glare.

i hate finger prints and glare. much smoother when gliding fingers across screen.

16. alau0115 macrumors regular

Power Support Crystal Clear on my 3GS and Steinheil Anti-fingerprint on hers.

Also have bodyguards on the back of mine and SGP Shield on the back of hers.

Are going to switch to Phantomskinz for the back protection

17. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Same here! I bought the Steinheil anti-fingerprint film after trying the PS anti-glare and I'm never looking back!!

I couldn't imagine not having it installed, I'd be wiping off my phone every 5 mins :D