Screen Shots

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I think it was 10.2 or 10.3 that generated PDF screenshots by default. Maybe the users uploading them are on those systems?

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
yes, I belive you are right... OS X.2 and X.3 made .pdf's by default. I'm almost positive there is a way to change this...

if not you could always launch the PDF from your desktop and go file --> export.

then you can export the file as a .jpg or .png

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Unfortunately not. You can change the format in 10.4 (and I believe you could in 10.1 as well), but not in 10.3.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It's messy, but if you open the PDF in Preview, you should be able to save it as a different format. The Tiger screenshot format is PNG but for posting on forums, JPG should be just as good.

tfh1013

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
Somewhere, Overthere
You can use Cocktail for OS X... It works perfectly. All you have to do is open it up, and click on the Finder tab. It lets you change the file format of your screen shots. I think the option is at the bottom somewhere...

Another application you can try is OnyX. It works pretty much the same way.

tfh1013

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Warning: OnyX trashed the drive on my iBook G4 (running Tiger I think at the time), requiring a reinstall. Be forewarned.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
You could use an outside application like Snapz Pro X to take the screenshot. Nice little app actually.

That said, I seem to recall I changed the way my screenshots saved in Panther without any trouble. I'm sorry I cannot remember how I did this. I think I did a search here and found the answer actually.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You can use Cocktail for OS X... It works perfectly. All you have to do is open it up, and click on the Finder tab. It lets you change the file format of your screen shots. I think the option is at the bottom somewhere...

Those apps (and others like TinkerTool) will do the job just fine on Tiger, but the Panther versions don't include this option.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Warning: OnyX trashed the drive on my iBook G4 (running Tiger I think at the time), requiring a reinstall. Be forewarned.
Yeah I'm extremely leary of third party software ever since I tried (safari speedup). I had to completely erase the drive to get rid of it. :mad:

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
It's messy, but if you open the PDF in Preview, you should be able to save it as a different format. The Tiger screenshot format is PNG but for posting on forums, JPG should be just as good.
mad jew, I hope you get mobbed tomorrow by a bunch of tini boppers in short plaid skirts with pleats. :) :) :)

I was about to say, how hard is it to open Preview and just save it as a JPG? :confused:
I'm still learning.... :eek:

pengu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2005
Diddily Daddily...
look in the OSX Help. it has all the screen shot combinations. and if you take a screenshot as the default format (pdf) you can just open it in Preview.app and go Save As and save it as a JPG or PNG or any other supported format.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The formats you can upload onto MacRumors are listed at the bottom of the Manage Attachments window. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to allow TIFF uploads. :(

To take a screenshot of just a single window, press COMMAND-SHIFT-4-SPACE and then click on the window you want captured. Before you click to capture the image, the window should be highlighted (blue by default). :)

Picture 1.png

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
^^^^
That's realy cool, now I don't have to trace the outline of the image with the cross hair icon. Oh and thanks to you MJ, I've learned how to convert the formats using Preview.

I think I'm set.

As always mad jew, I'm grateful for your help. :) :) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.