Screen shuts off but laptop still running

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tudernos, Oct 30, 2011.

1. tudernos macrumors newbie

I don't know what's wrong with my macbook pro but I'm getting really pissed and irritated. I bought this Macbook Pro in late December 2010.

Specs are as follows:
    MAC OSX 10.7.2
    2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB DD3 RAM
    500GB HDD

I updated to Lion as soon as it came out. I don't know if that's the problem or not. But it started happening two months ago and getting worse. The screen would go black but the laptop is still running. I can see the keyboard lit and hear it still running. Now occassionally it just freezes and the screen goes blank while I'm using it. Only way to get it back to normal is shut it off and turn it on again for both instances. I brought it to Apple for diagnostic and they couldn't replicate the problem. They ran some diagnose tests and results came out to be fine. I don't understand what the problem is. I need help. Have you guys had this problem before?

2. Mersailios macrumors regular

There was a software update issued by Apple last week that is supposed to help resolve intermittent black screen issues on MacBook Pros that are running Mac OS X 10.7 ("Lion").

Try running Software Update by going to the Apple menu and then choose "Software Update", the update in question should be labelled as "MacBook Pro Video Update".

If the software update doesn't resolve the issue then you may need to get in touch with Apple Technical Support to arrange for further diagnosis and servicing.

For more information, please see the following Apple Support Document: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Credit to leftspin:

To find out why your system won't sleep, (in terminal) type:

pmset -g assertions

In my case, I saw:

Listed by owning process:
    pid 63: [0x0000012c0000003f] PreventSystemSleep named: "org.cups.cupsd"

cups is the printing system, so I went into the system prefs and deleted my printer drivers. The system then slept.