Screen shutting off problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ItalianBoston, Sep 8, 2014.

1. ItalianBoston macrumors regular

Ok, so this is my second MacBook Pro that is doing this, I took the first one back due to this issue. Does anyone else have this problem?

When I have the laptop sitting on my lap or a sleeve and I pick it up off my lap or sleeve the screen shuts off even though I'm not closing the lid. The back of the lid that connects to the body seems to be touching my lap or the sleeve when this is happening. Is this normal or is something wrong here?

2. Juub macrumors newbie

Is your display a bit wobbly or does it sit firmly on the top case? Also, what operating system are your running? Some MacBooks with with a version prior to 10.9.2 had issues with the display shutting off by itself or refusing to turn back on after going to sleep but this was mostly fixed with 10.9.2 as there were a couple of firmware/smc updates.

Could you list the year of your Macbook along with its size? It could help me dig deeper into the issue.

3. ItalianBoston thread starter macrumors regular

It sits firmly on top of the body. Its the latest 15'' MacBook that just came out and its running the latest operating system. I've had it no more than a week.

4. Juub macrumors newbie

Mmmh. That really seems to be a hardware issue.

Here is what I recommend:

1. Reset your PRAM(right when your computer is booting hold command+P+R) the computer will reboot by itself.

2. Reset your SMC(Plug your computer to a power source. Turn off your computer. Hold Left Shift+Control+Options+Power Button, release all buttons and then push power button again)

3. If it is an issue you're always able to reproduce. Connect your MBP to an external display. See if it does the same thing. If it does, it is probably a GPU issue. If it does not. It is most likely a display issue.

If you reach the point where it is a hardware defect. I would recommend returning the MacBook and getting a refund. Buy a new one instead. Can't have a spanking laptop of 1300$+ and have its components faulty.