Screen Sleeping issue - Definitely a new one for you guru's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joeyboyyy91, Apr 17, 2012.

1. joeyboyyy91 macrumors member

Hi guys,

This is my last port of call before I give up solving this problem, so I'm hoping you can help me out here.

A few weeks ago I purchased a 2009 unibody macbook pro 13.3" (2.26ghz - 2gb ram - 160gb hd) with a busted screen (Lid, lcd, glass panel all busted)

My intention was to fix it up and sell it on.

I purchased a complete replacement display assembly from eBay. (NOTE; this display was for a 2008 unibody macbook 13.3" - NOT MACBOOK PRO - this was due to the MUCH cheaper price - Also I had inspected the pictures, and the connections on the mbp logic board and come to the conclusion all would be well)

Fast forward to today - new screen/lid assembly is fitted, working perfectly save for one issue.

The macbook pro will no longer fall asleep upon closing the lid.

I have reset PRAM, SMC, and various other techniques to try and rectify the issue - none having worked.

It occured to me that it may have something to do with the placement of the magnets in the bezel of the displays. i.e a macbook screen connected to a macbook pro body will not send the computer to sleep because the magnets in the macbook screen do not align with the magnets in the macbook pro body.

I'm hoping someone can either confirm this, or offer some other solutions to this problem. Because I am all out of ideas.

If it is due to the alignment of magnets, then I will just leave it - its not a huge issue as the laptop sleeps fine when told to do so from the menu bar.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcrandall23 macrumors newbie

Your guess is correct. The magnets are in different places. On the 2009, the sleep sensor is on the small board that also runs the battery charge LEDs. You can check if it's working by placing a magnet on the top case near the LEDs and headphone jack. If it is, the computer should go to sleep just as if the lid had been closed.