Screen sleeping when in DVD player

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robbo91, Oct 31, 2010.

1. robbo91 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm trying to watch a DVD, but the screen keeps going to sleep. I've watched DVD's heaps on my 24 inch iMac, but I've never had this problem until today. I am in full screen mode and obviously not moving the mouse/pressing keys frequently. The sleep time is the same as in the System Preferences (for the whole computer) I set that back to default and still have the same problem. I have not touched the settings for DVD player ever but I had a look through them and saw nothing related to the screen going to sleep. It seems that the computer no longer recognises DVD player as a program that it should not black the screen out for.

Any suggestions of what I could do to resolve this problem. Could have it been caused by a software update? This is the first time I've watched a DVD in a while.

2. Dufus Del Dia macrumors newbie

Screen Sleeping... Stop that!

Open System Preferences
    Choose Desktop and Screen Saver
    Click on Hot Corners in the lower left

This gets you a "pull down" panel that lets you set Hot Corners for the Mouse.

Set one or more corners to "Disable Screen Saver"
    Click "OK"

Now, when you're watching that DVD, just park the mouse in the Hot Corner that you had set up for disabling the Screen Saver. As long as the mouse stays parked in that corner, the Screen Saver won't activate, nor will the display sleep.

3. robbo91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks for that. But has anyone got any reasons as to why this is happening?