Screen 'slightly' dimmer on the left: will Apple fix it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sammich, Apr 6, 2009.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I've not noticed the problem until now, and 'problem' is probably overstating it a little. Anyway, basically the left side of the screen isn't as bright. It's so subtle taking a photo wouldn't reveal anything. Panning your head on a full white background across and you can pick up that the left side is noticeably grey, and the right side is more or less white. Under normal it's next to invisible.

That said: what is the smallest thing that anyone here has had fixed under warranty here? And how did you go about convincing them that it needed to be done?

Yes, I'm looking to get some worth out of my $450 of Applecare Extended Warranty.

2. bfc macrumors member

I had the same problem. I explained it by showing a video and panning it across the screen. On the left side of the screen the video was nice and bright, as I panned it to the right side the video became darker, and the colours shifted.

After showing that, Apple genius agreed there was a problem and my MacBook Pro screen was replaced under warranty.

Hope this helps!

3. metroid87706 macrumors regular

metroid87706

I hope you didn't pay $450. It's only $350. :confused:

4. PDE macrumors 68020

I'm sure apple will replace it, but be careful because you might get one that is worse than what you have. If it's only slight and doesn't bother you all the time I'd recommend against getting it exchanged. And I'm very picky with displays! Been through what seemed like an eternal exchange cycle and would never wish that on anyone..

5. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

After having the screen on for the last hour, I'm starting to doubt myself...maybe I should see an optometrist :eek:

You raise an interesting issue. I'm hoping that Apple Australia does a slightly better job (although a few visits to the Genius Bar makes me doubt this).

And you played this video on the screen that was about to get replaced? Lol, did the replacement work out perfect, first time?

Australian prices, I should note. Pro portable AppleCare is AUD$463.10.