Screen slowly dying - help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by smallplastictree, Mar 4, 2011.

1. smallplastictree macrumors newbie

So I dropped my iPhone the other day and cracked the screen. On the inside. If that makes any sense.

I was okay with the crack, until last night when the screen started blanking out in these grey horizontal lines. It looks like dead pixels to me. Has anyone seen this before? Is there anything I can do? Going to attach a pic. Look for the grey (gray) line just under the MacRumors masthead and then there are another two thinner lines lower down.

Does anyone have any advice?

Attached Files:

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Take it to Apple or fix it yourself...If you want to fix it yourself...http://www.ifixit.com/

3. MichXP macrumors newbie

Very sorry this happened to you. If that's an iPhone 3GS, at minimum, you're going to have to pay 126 SGD (noticed your carrier ;p) to repair the display yourself, not including opening tools & a screwdriver.

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts

Unfortunately, that's pretty much your cheapest option (considering you don't have AppleCare or protection through StarHub), unless of course you want to have the technicians repair it for you, or see what StarHub can do for you. If these options aren't available to you, I would say you have to cross your fingers you can get by with a broken display until you can upgrade your phone.

Please get a case for your phone next time! They're usually cheap and they usually prevent damages like this.

4. smallplastictree thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the links and advice guys. I think my only option is to monitor the deterioration and find out when I can recontract - it may be a waste to pay for the repair, rather just get a new one. Cheers!