Screen Spanning Across Multiple Monitors Using Secondary Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sprale, Jul 8, 2011.

1. sprale macrumors member

Here is my dilema; I have a memory that sometimes fails me if I don't take good notes.

A couple of years ago I had a nice system set up at work, but it didn't serve a real need, so I didn't keep using it. I had a primary Mac with dual spanned displays, then used an extra older G5 with a single display. I found a couple of wonderful utilities that allowed me to arrange all three displays beside each other as one desktop, controlled from my primary Mac. The second Mac was simply a slave. It's only purpose was driving the extended display.

My problem is that I can't remember what the software was called now that I have a real need to get that functionality again. A couple of my designers are now using MacBook Pros and it would be nice to be able to use their old Macs to drive an additional large display, giving them two big ones and the small built-in.

Does anyone know what the software was called or if there is something else out now that does the job? I've spent the last two days Googling myself blind... :confused:

2. sprale thread starter macrumors member

I found it, teleport, but it's not quite what I thought I remembered. It is more of a remote desktop utility, but instead of running in a window on your primary Mac, you can move the cursor off the edge of the screen to the secondary Mac's display and use it's resources. It also seems to work well with Spaces and the side-bump switch.

It's better than a KVM in some regards, like cost, but I was hoping for something that would allow me to run my apps from my primary system on an external Mac's displays. It does work well between a MBP and a G5, though. Makes me wish I had more desk space at home to set up my old Quicksilver G4...

[​IMG]