Screen Spanning Doctor - bad medicine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djhart, Jun 5, 2009.

1. djhart macrumors newbie

Reviewed dozens of posts on various forums and found some great advice but still having major problems. Just installed SSD on my 12" 1.33 GHz ibook G4. Super cool at first - saw the unlocked resolutions and changed to 1920x1080. Then decided it would be interesting to see the 90* rotation view. BIG mistake. did not work- screen looked weird then went blank. had to shut down and restart without external monitor connected in order to see anything but a blank, grey, blue, or weird screen. now I cannot even get the regular mirror setting to work- no external monitor viewing at all. 1) won't recognize external display unless I restart with it already connected. 2) even then, only shows blue screen (color of my desktop) but nothing else anywhere to be found. 3) with Screen Spanning Doctor enabled, still get weird looking screen - external display still appears rotated 90 degrees based on mouse pointer movements, but cannot see anything except gray hash. Tried disabling ScreenSpanningDoctor, deleting it from trash, resetting PRAM and NVRAM (unless they did not reset for some reason though I followed apple's instructions), and repaired disk permissions. Still same situation. Would be thrilled to get original settings back. Then I would probably try SSD again but avoid the rotation feature which I assume my ibook is not compatible with. Please help. Thank you.

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

I reset open firmware (startup with command-option-O-F held down, then type in reset-nvram, hit return, type in reset-all, hit return and the machine will reboot)

3. djhart thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, I really appreciate it. I performed your suggestion precisely but everything still status quo. any other ideas?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. djhart thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help. I tried that a few times by holding CMD+OPT+P+R during restart and waiting for second startup sound. willing to try anything else before going to genius bar...

6. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

Reset the SMC.. That is the System Management Unit... so might help!!!

7. djhart thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...I did it, but everything still business as usual. I can't understand why my settings got messed up when everyone raves about this hack and of all the forums I have only found ONE other person complain that something weird happened
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=331819

I am sure I'm not the only one who tried the rotation view, if that was even the problem. Any other ideas please share. How can it be that I cannot get back to original settings???

8. macguy2009 macrumors newbie

I Have Same Problem - Have You Found A Solution?

I did the exact same thing by clicking on the 90 degree position and I now have the same problem as you. I have a iBook G4. By unplugging the mini VGA cable I'm able to access my laptop, but have lost the ability to use external monitor. I'll be going to the Genius bar later today to see if they have a fix. Just checking to see if you've had success in getting your external monitor function back? If so, what was the fix? Did you reinstall SSD? If so, how has it been working? Anyone else have this problem?

9. djhart thread starter macrumors newbie

nope

macguy, once I got my laptop working again, I gave up trying to get external monitor to work. also helped that I inherited a PC so now I use 2 computers instead of 1 computer on 2 screens. so never found a solution. please post if you find one. did not reinstall ssd.

10. macguy2009 macrumors newbie

Do a clean reinstall of OS

Since I didn't have original OS discs (I bought iBook used) updated OS with a copy of 10.5.6. By doing a clean install of your OS you should be able to regain the use of an external monitor in mirror mode. Since updating OS I haven't attempted to retry screen spanning doctor. I think I still have SSD since I actually did a Archive & Install when I updated OS. I'll let you know if I ever try to reopen SSD. For now I'm am thankful for having my external monitor back, although it's only mirroring my iBook.

11. djhart thread starter macrumors newbie

just dont go sideways...?!

thanks macguy. it was not worth it for me to do a complete reinstall, but if I did, I would be bold enough to try screen spanning dr again and just resist the temptation to test all the unnecessary features ;)

12. macguy2009 macrumors newbie

Curious about your monitor

djhart, I'm surprised that we haven't ran across anyone else with the same problem we had with using SSD by checking that 90 degree box option? If I don't upgrade to a newer mac that supports dual monitors I'll give SSD another try without checking that option again. On second thought, even if I get a newer mac I'll give SSD another try on this iBook for experimental reasons. Especially now that I've learned how to regain use of external monitor if something like this happened again. I'm curious if your external monitor is working with your mac without doing a reinstall?

13. drtomma macrumors newbie

Fixed!!!

FIX:

do a search in the finder window for "com.apple.windowserver.plist"

TWO results come up. Delete them BOTH. Done.

The "90° rotation" i did with screen spanning doctor is saved in one of those. I am using screen spanning doctor again :)