Screen Spontaneously Combusting?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XboxMySocks, Nov 6, 2009.

1. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I was carting my macbook around at school today and when I opened it up for my 2nd period class I noticed (it would be hard to ignore) that there was a nice crack on my glossy 13" display. Despite not having any incident where something like that should have been an appropriate response for my screen, I'm also wondering wether or not something like this would be covered under applecare. Because honestly, it's rather ludicrous that this would happen under circumstances that it has been through for a couple of months. Any help appreciated (and if I have to pay the ****ing stupid-endous price of $800 to fix it, I'm just buying a new MBP.)

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Well I haven't heard of this, and glass doesn't just break for no reason so something clearly happened to it. You can try getting it fixed under Apple Care but there is not much hope. A 3rd party repair would be less money.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Unfortunately, the chance of getting Apple to replace it under their limited warranty or AppleCare is slim. Like already stated, glass doesn't crack on it's own without force. You can try and see if Apple will do it for you but you're better off going to a third party service provider to get it fixed for a cheaper price.

4. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Oh something definitely happened to it, however it was so minor I didn't even have one of those moments where you go "Oh ****" and realise something's gone awry. I'm very technically inclined so a moment like that would have definitely happened if I thought it was worthy of it... I'm more disappointed that this happened more than anything, really.

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

thats what you get with laptops I'm afraid. You have to be very careful with porting them around. Its happened to me once before with my macbook pro. I had it in a case in my bag, don't remember hitting anything, and when i next got it out there was a big dent on the back of the screen. luckily it didn't break cause any further damage, and was later replaced by apple anyway due to my screen going yellow. But still, these things happen, whether they are expensive laptops or cheap.
    I suggest you get a case (or better one) when you get it repaired to prevent this happening again. Plus, i don't think there is any chance apple are gonna want to touch it. you more or less admitted that you did it accidently yourself. Just because you didn't realise doesn't make it void in a warranty.

Edit: after a quick re-read i realised that my last little bit could be taken as being nasty, just thought i'd add that, well, i'm not being nasty :p

6. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Lol I didn't read it as nasty, don't worry.
    We've gotten our cert apple dealer fudge things a bit so applecare covered us, but IDK if it will fly this time. Last time we dumped apple juice (LOL IRONY) on a MBP and we got off free.

7. eman macrumors 6502a

After reading your title, I thought your screen caught fire.

8. XboxMySocks thread starter macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yes it was slightly misleading but I thought it was still appropriate.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think there's virtually no chance AppleCare will cover this. The glass cover doesn't just break...it probably took a shock/bump from being carried/set down and just hit the right way.

If the LCD panel under the glass is fine, you can try ordering the glass from somewhere (hit up L.A Rossman on here for a good place) and replacing the cover yourself. Hell, even if you need a new LCD panel, he'll tell you were a good place is.

10. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Call and ask. If there's no evidence of damage, it's possible they'll repair it.

"Extreme" heat fluctuation can crack iPod screens. Asking them couldn't hurt if it's already cracked!

11. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

How were you carrying it around? In a bag, on its own, etc.

Its possible if you were carrying it buy a corner, that it flexed and cracked, doubt it but possible.

If you didnt have a "OH S#$%" moment then I have no idea what might have happened, good luck

12. Vaath macrumors newbie

Not always true, my dads work place got in new Lenovo's. No signs of physical trauma. No one else had any problems whatsoever. Co-Worker opened his up screen literally shattered.

I'm guessing they were able to get it replaced under warranty because of them being a large corporate customer. But still, they can literally just break. I even heard some of the early MBP's having a similar issue but i'd have to check.