Screen spot, is it covered under warranty?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Neophoenix236, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Neophoenix236 macrumors newbie

About 3 months ago a line formed at the bottom of my screen and gradually moved up. after a while it formed this spot.

[​IMG]

I want to get it fixed, but I don't know if it is covered under the apple warranty.
    It's 1G 8GB and only 8 months old.
    Any suggestions?
    Anybody else have this happen?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Definitely get it looked at by Apple. That's just horrible, that is very clearly some form of hardware failure in the LCD. It's still under warranty, so take advantage of it.

3. Funplex macrumors regular

Good gawd, it looks like it was targeted by some sort of laser cannon, lol.

I'd totally take it to Apple and see about a replacement. That's the worst thing besides a broken screen I've seen happen (well... except the ipod that gets put in a blender).

4. Neophoenix236 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, it's bad. thankfully the touch screen worked so it didn't get in the way of typing. worst part is it only had two scratches on the back, that's right only two! Sadly I don't live near an Apple service center so I requested service online and Apple overnighted me a box, so hopefully I'll know if it is covered soon.

Update: Apple said it was an "external force" that caused the damage and therefore it is not covered. :(

Any body know where I could send it to get fixed?

5. Neophoenix236 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Take it to an Apple Store. They may have some more sense.

7. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Your original post said this started as a "line" and gradually moved up and then formed the spot. Any chance you took a picture of that line? If so and the line does not come close to the center of that seemingly perfect-circle spot it could convey to Apple that it is not the result of an external force.

SOmething else that confuses me. If an external force caused this as they say, is the glass damaged or is tha tspot totally under the glass? If there is no glass damage and no dents on the outside of the rear cover, I sure would like to know how an external force can damage the screen under the glass.

8. Neophoenix236 thread starter macrumors newbie

no, I didn't have a camera when it started so there is no picture and no there is no damage to the unit itself, the glass, or the back. like I said before the only thing wrong with it was two scratches on the back and you had to look for those. on top of it all this was my first iPod, so I'm a little upset with apple right now.

9. Neophoenix236 thread starter macrumors newbie

I live too far away from one, otherwise I would have skipped the $32 fee to ship it to apple :(

10. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It cost you money? If it's still under warranty, which it would be at only 8 months old, Apple is supposed to pay for the shipping. I've had to send three iPods to Apple, under warranty, and I've never had to pay a cent to get it there or back.

11. Neophoenix236 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I just checked, they told me I would have to pay but they took the charge off my account a day or so ago...so now I'm confused...but happier!

12. AlmostJosh macrumors 6502

AlmostJosh

this happened to my iphone twice today, but it disappeared after like 5 seconds

13. Neophoenix236 thread starter macrumors newbie

lucky you, mine has been this way longer than I thought I could stand it to be there

Anybody have any other ides on whereto get it fixed. Or should I try to sell it and invest in a new one?

14. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

To be totally honest I doubt you'd ever find someone that would want to buy it, considering quite a large portion of the screen is unusable.

15. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    I think it could be worth taking this further with Apple; I have read on the forums of people who have phoned or written to Apple expressing their disappointment when they don't get the standard of service they should and quite often the company actually ends up putting things right. I wouldn't shell out on a new phone until you've let Apple know how disappointed and annoyed you are at this because they might still do a U-turn!