Screen SS a bit "loose"?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rowdt1, Jul 22, 2015.

1. rowdt1 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

Is it just me or is the screen of the AW not completely attached to the stainless steel body? Looking at the watch from above nothing really seems to be wrong but in certain angles it looks as if there's a small gap. Now that I've seen it I wish I hadn't since now I really can't unsee it. I'm not sure if it'll cause any problems but apart from that it makes me a bit sad having spend that much money on an item that just doesn't feel right. I wouldn't go as far as saying I can stick a nail in the gap but it's getting quite close. If it worsens I most certainly can. Maybe I'm a bit nit picky but I expected the build quality to be a bit higher. I just hope it's normal..

Also, I tried to post a photo but since the defect is so small I can't quite get it right

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You only choice is to take it to Apple and see what they say. Without images we can not help. My screen on my 42SS has no gaps and is tight and consistent all the way around.

3. CellXor10 macrumors regular

Not normal and I would take it back into an Apple store and get a replacement. There were pictures from someone where the screen came right off only to be dangling by some wires. I'd get a new watch as that is most definitely a defect...

4. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

On all watches there is a small gap between the edge where the screen meets the casing, however, if it is large enough that it depresses when you press on the screen (like when trying to force touch), something is certainly wrong and I'd take it in immediately since **** can get caught in there or travel into the casing.

Here is a profile to show how the screen lays against the casing, it tappers off just a slight micron before the edge, creating a "gap". If yours does not look like that, then I'd go in:
    [​IMG]

5. rowdt1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. The other sides of the screen all seem to blend in nicely. After putting up with it for a couple of days extra I believe it only worsens so I definitely have to do something about it

However, I'm not living close to an Apple Store and I think that when I call Apple and ask for advice they'll note it down. I'm still within the 14 day return range so I can also send it back and order a new one, right?