Screen stays black after putting display to sleep. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d wade, Jan 8, 2008.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

OK, when I am away from my computer for several hours and have things being downloaded, i just put my display to sleep.

however, just yesterday (the last 2 times i have put the display to sleep for over an hour) my screen will not come back. it just stays black.

i have had to force power down to be able to get my screen back. not to mention, every time i do this, i lose about 70% of my download progress. basically taking 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

anyone know whats wrong? why wont my screen come back? why does the display stay asleep? please help and thanks!!

2. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

3. Patschmom macrumors newbie

Screen stays black after utting display to sleep, a thought

I've had this happen and have taken in the puter... everythiing from the tech's point of view was good to go. Still it happened. Happened to mention it in the Mac Store and was suggested to me that my Bluetooth was not set correctly (turn on with Blue Tooth device)..check that and things were checked apropriatly...but it was also mentioned in passing that I might try my USB mouse instead of my Blue tooth mouse. So I hooked it back in and while no proof...I've been able to sleep down my puter each night and turn it back on with the USB mouse, no problems at all.

I have yet to run a clear test of one over the other but I actually had been afraid to sleep my computer...I'm feeling a bit more relaxed. Again I have no idea WHY... Don't ask me to build the hammer...I just want to know HOW to use it.

G5 Dual
    Patschmom

4. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Just to clarify, what are you doing to put the display to sleep?

5. atarin macrumors regular

The (wireless) mouse never wakes it back up for me. I hit the space bar, and it quickly wakes up every time. Have you tried that? Also, if you choose "Sleep" from the Apple Menu, the computer will sleep, not just the monitor. Doing that will shut down your Internet connection (causing your download to stop). If you want just the monitor to sleep, set System Preferences, Energy Saver to sleep the monitor after an amount of time you choose, set sleep the computer to never, and uncheck sleep the hard drive when possible box. Then, wait for the amount of time you set to sleep the monitor. Do not use the Sleep option from the Apple Menu. Hope that helps and wasn't confusing.

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Are you refering to the physical backlight brightness key.

I do this with my powerbook and have only had a few problems like yours. However I feel there is no solution.

If the problem persists take it into an apple store.

Oh sorry I didnt wake up to go straight to your post. How inconsiderate of me.

On topic: Hope it sorts itself out!

7. esd macrumors member

I have this same problem with my MBP. Probably 30% of the time I wake it up from sleep the screen stays dark. Occasionally the screen kicks in if I wait long enough (several minutes) but sometimes it never does.

I can tell the computer is on (if I hit ESC a few times, I get the "bonk" sound).

It doesn't seem to matter whether I put the computer to sleep via the menu or just closing the lid, but the problem usually seems to occur after its been sleeping for a while

Any ideas? Did you ever get a resolution?

Or, next question, is there a keyboard shortcut to do a shurtdown/reboot so that I can restart the computer sans screen without having to hold the power button?

8. esd macrumors member

Found some more info on this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=436292

But I don't think it's the new graphics update -- I had this problem before I installed it.

I'm going to try nuking iStat Pro and see if that does it. Will post the results.

9. esd macrumors member