Screen stays black!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cni2i, Jun 17, 2009.

1. cni2i macrumors member

Hey everyone,
    I just received my MBP 17" today. I was of course very excited. I went through the usual setup process. Everything seemed to be working well. I wanted to change the energy/battery setting to high performance...it then asked me to "logout" first. I went ahead and logged out. After that, everything went black. I thought it was in sleep mode or something (coming from a PC). I turned it off and restarted it again. Still nothing!:eek: The sound chime comes on and the keyboard is lights up, but nothing else. I called AppleCare. They couldn't get the screen to come back either! They had me go through a few different procedures to reset the graphic card (?) and reboot the mac, but still nothing.

Long story short...I have to return my brand new macbook pro 17" and wait for a new one.:(

Any thougths on what happened? If you have a tip or solution to get this monitor back on...I would be eternally grateful :D
    If I don't hear from anyone today, I will just send it back.

BTW: If I send it back Fedex, do I just go to the PostOffice, OR do I have to bring it into a Fedex store? Thanks.

2. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

Well I have returned quite a few mac products bought online and

usually I just called Apple and they would arrange for the shipping company to pick it up a few days later.

So try calling them and see what they want you to do.

3. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Did you check if the screen is not turned down all the way?

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

did you do the pram reset? this happened to me last night (boot up, heard the chime, screen goes black, back-lit keyboard comes on) and i just did a simple pram reset and all is well.

5. cni2i thread starter macrumors member

Good advice. That was tried several times. Unfortunately, still didn't come on.

In the end, I just brought the MBP into my friendly apple store and they replaced it for me right there! I didn't have to send it back like one applecare member said. I am glad I bought the MBP bone stock...otherwise, I would have had to send it back and wait even longer.

Conclusion: they felt it was a faulty graphics card. I am afraid to try changing the energy setting again.