screen stopped turning

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mareyeka, May 26, 2011.

1. mareyeka macrumors newbie

Hi folks. I looked for the solution but can't find it.

My iPad2, received in mid-April and trouble-free since, began having an issue on the weekend. It won't move from landscape to portrait or the other way around and it is not locked. I checked the button and I checked the setting.

I have the smart cover. When I open it, it opens in the orientation I have the iPad in, either one, but again, can't change it. If I want to change it, I have to close the cover, wait a minute, then turn it and open it.

Any ideas what happened and how to fix this? As I said, it's not locked. I double pressed on the home button and went all the way to the left to see the icon and it is not locked.

Thanks.

2. patrickj macrumors regular

Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you restarted and hard rebooted the iPad 2?

3. mareyeka thread starter macrumors newbie

I've turned it off

I've turned it off, but not rebooted it. Will I lose any of my stuff if I do?

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Not if you reboot/reset. You only lose data if you restore, which involves connecting to iTunes and hitting a big 'restore' button.

5. mareyeka thread starter macrumors newbie

then reboot it is

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

back from trying it and it worked. Have no idea why I didn't consider doing that before. Consider it a duh moment....

Thanks!

6. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I had this problem a few weeks ago, rebooted and it fixed the problem. Just happened again yesterday.

I've been testing some apps to see when/how it happens and for me it seems to be tied to Pinball HD. If I have my screen locked in landscape mode, but open up Pinball HD it seems to want to open in portrait but then rotates back to landscape. So I unlock the screen, but at this point, then screen is just stuck in landscape.

I haven't had to completely reboot, just use the sleep/awake button and it seems to fix itself. Just curious if anyone else has been able to tie this to a spcific app?