Screen suddenly dims

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by exe163, Aug 20, 2010.

1. exe163 macrumors regular

I have been experiencing a problem lately. Once a while my MBP '10 screen will have a sudden drop of brightness and then back to normal. Does anyone have similar problem?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Glad someone finally mentioned it. My 15" MBP Core i5 does that as well. Not often, but once in a while it will flash dark and then back to bright again. Here's to 10.6.5. Hopefully it's just a bad driver with the ambient light sensor.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

When you go into a darker room the display dims to reduce harshness on the eyes. The sensor is right next to the isight camera, so if you press your thumb over the isight camera the display will dim. You can turn it off in the system preferences if you don't want it to happen...

4. iperson21 macrumors regular

its just a light sensor to make the screen easier on your eyes.
    its located near the isight camera if it isnt the isight camera all together.

if you don't belive me, just cover up the webcam with your finger and- the screen instantly becomes .dimmer

5. exe163 thread starter macrumors regular

I think most of you got my point wrong. Like HLdan said, it happens within a second from normal level to the dimmest and then back to normal. It's much faster than to just cover the sensor and releasing it. It does this suddenly and randomly.

6. Unsafe macrumors newbie

Mine does exactly the same, I don't think it has anything to do with the sensor (unless something is wrong with it :(). As others have said the brightness will dim as if you've not used it for a couple of minutes and then will go back to normal as soon as its dimmed as if you've touched a key or the trackpad.

7. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

You should've added more detail to your question: does it happen when the ambient light changes, when you don't touch your computer for awhile, or just randomly?