Screen tear (?) in Macbook 15" 2018 (bought early 2019)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ranho, Sep 10, 2019.

1. ranho macrumors newbie

Dear all I have a 15" Macbook purchased early this year that I recently saw a slight tear in the screen. It's quite minimal and I only noticed recently because I normally don't use my laptop in pitch black conditions.

My fear is that this small failure or defect in the screen could easily propagate throughout and make this a really unpleasant experience to use the laptop. Also since I saw it I can't unseen it anymore and I am always looking at that.

I purchased the laptop in Currys PC in the UK and I wonder how I should approach this as you need a really dark setting. All opinions are welcomed.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Flint456 macrumors newbie

Flint456

I noticed the same exact “light bleed” in the same area of my 13 inch Mid 2018 MacBook Pro, mines is a bit smaller than what’s going on with yours so it’s barely noticeable in the pitch black setting. I think it’s just a design flaw. Since it’s barely noticeable it doesn't bother me.

3. BLBL macrumors 6502a

I don't see any of that in my MBP 2019 1.4. Maybe some screen gluing going bad in case it was not like that in the begin with.

4. jerryk macrumors 601

Why not take it back to the vendor? You are well within the 1st year of ownership.

5. ranho thread starter macrumors newbie

That's my question. Should I take it back to Currys PC or go directly to an Apple store? And how do I show this to the employee? My fear is that I complain, someone looks at it without the right setting and I lose the laptop for a few weeks and it's return to me with no apparent fault...

Does anyone have experience, not with the same problem, but with being hard to show the fault in the laptop? And if yes what did you do?

Thanks

6. jerryk macrumors 601

Show them the picture of the problem. Make sure you do a backup and make alternative plans for being without a system for a couple of weeks. And yes, they may declare it not a fault.

And given the choice between taking it to a retailer or Apple I would take Apple .

7. Fishrrman, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019

Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store genius bar FIRST.
    Have your sales receipt and the pics you showed us above.

MAKE SURE you back up the internal drive BEFORE you take it.
    I recommend CarbonCopyCloner for this procedure.