Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
So I got my 2011 (3.1ghz, i5, 6970m1gb, 12GB RAM) this afternoon. After updating and getting it all setup, I decided to test out some games. I loaded up the first Portal through steam, as I have always owned it, but my old system would never let me get more than 15fps.

It looks and sounds well enough, except for MASSIVE screen tearing. I mean, the entire screen up and down has about 10 lines at any given amount of movement.

Anyone know why this would be?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I'd check res settings. Portal is reasonably old, so it may not like the resolution of the 27". I could be way off, but that's just a thought.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
So I got my 2011 (3.1ghz, i5, 6970m1gb, 12GB RAM) this afternoon. After updating and getting it all setup, I decided to test out some games. I loaded up the first Portal through steam, as I have always owned it, but my old system would never let me get more than 15fps.

It looks and sounds well enough, except for MASSIVE screen tearing. I mean, the entire screen up and down has about 10 lines at any given amount of movement.

Anyone know why this would be?

Is there a V-Sync option in the System/Graphics menu of Portal? Sometimes called "Sync every frame"...

... make sure it's set to "yes". You have bucketloads of power, in that thing. Portal won't make it sweat. it's a setup issue.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Is there a V-Sync option in the System/Graphics menu of Portal? Sometimes called "Sync every frame"...

... make sure it's set to "yes". You have bucketloads of power, in that thing. Portal won't make it sweat. it's a setup issue.

Yup, that was it :) Something like "wait for sync". It was disabled by default on all Orange Box games.

Thanks a lot :)

treebark7182

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
ok I'm having the same issue and kind of new to steam.... I dont know where you're talking about to find that setting. I've looked all over. anyone mind walking me through a little?

treebark7182

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
ok nevermind..... I found it.... I'm a little blind.... or dumb..... perhaps a tad drunk.........

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
It should be in with the Graphics/Video settings. If you can't find it there, see whether there's an "Advanced" subsection.

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
I'd check res settings. Portal is reasonably old, so it may not like the resolution of the 27". I could be way off, but that's just a thought.

Doesn't explain the last two generations of 27" iMacs playing it fine.

V-Sync or Double Buffering to Triple Buffering will most likely fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.