Screen Tearing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ricky Smith, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

So I've noticed my system seems to have a lot of issues with animated graphics. I seem to get a lot of "tearing" or I suppose split rendering. Basically for example if I move my mouse around in the dock with magnification the top half of the icons are a split second behind the bottom half and tear. I feel this transition should be a lot smoother.

I have a Mid Mac Pro 2010 with 12 GB of RAM ATI Radeon 5770

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

That's not right.

I don't have that problem with my GT120 and that's a lot weaker card than the 5770.

I don't have any specific suggestions, but have you tried contacting Apple?

Hopefully someone else has an idea.

What version of OSX are you running?

3. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Have you tried adjusting the refresh rate in the Diplays' System Preferences? Or in your card's preferences if it has one?

Loa

4. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I have an 09 MacPro with the 4870 and get screen tearing like that occasionally in things like videos, whether they're being viewed in Finder with QuickLook, or in QuickTime itself. Usually I reboot and it goes away, I wonder if it has to do with the card overheating.

5. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I can understand tearing if you're dragging a window that's playing HD video, but tearing on the dock animation? That's just wrong.

Screen refresh settings is a good idea.

6. Ricky Smith thread starter macrumors regular

I also have horrible tearing with videos although I wasn't sure if it was a playback issue. The systems about a year and 3 months old so it's past apple care. 10.7.2 Acer H243H Monitor only setting is 60htz

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's an issue with the graphics drivers in 10.6.8 and later. I have the same issue with my 320M.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I also have a mid 2010 MP and 5770. Running Snow Leopard updated to latest. I have no screen tearing problem, but maybe I'm not doing the exact thing you are. If you are interested and you can provide me a step by step, I'll follow the steps on my computer and report what happens.

9. papoopeepoo macrumors member

I had this (or a similar) problem with my 09 MP with a 4870 under an upgrade version 10.7.0 from 10.6.8. The tearing would happen all the way across the screen when any moving object was in the area at about 75% of the way up the screen.

I downgraded to 6.8 again and waited for 10.7.1 to come out. When it did, I re-upgraded and the graphics were clean and still are.

10. Ricky Smith thread starter macrumors regular

This was an upgrade from 10.6 and it just happens when I'm running my mouse over the dock. I could try a screen recording but I don't know how well that would work worse case ill take a video with my camera. I'm running 10.7.2

11. goodcow macrumors 6502a

I noticed screen tearing this morning (I had left the MacPro on overnight downloading a bunch of stuff), but then I just tried turning the monitor off and on (Dell) and the screen tearing went away.