Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewjh07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Has anyone else had issues with their iPad screen "tearing"? Since a couple days ago it started doing this alot, and I have not dropped, jailbroke, or anything else that could make it do this. The only time I plugged it into the computer was when I set it up. Going to the Apple Store today to see what is up.

Anyone else have had problems like this?

andrewjh07

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I do not have iBooks, it happens in all apps. When I am in Safari I can sometimes see what looks like in the tear a portion of the address bar flash across the bottom of the screen, almost like the iPad doesnt know what direction it should be displaying the screen in. Even though I am holding it close to vertical

Nevasleep

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
Take some pictures.

Also sounds like it's faulty and that your going to have to return it.

g8orballboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I do not have iBooks, it happens in all apps. When I am in Safari I can sometimes see what looks like in the tear a portion of the address bar flash across the bottom of the screen, almost like the iPad doesnt know what direction it should be displaying the screen in. Even though I am holding it close to vertical

A) I can't believe you didn't get the joke in the post up above :)

B) It definitely sounds like a hardware issue. I'd do a full restore and if that doesn't remove the issue, take it to the apple store and they'd probably just replace it for you for free.

oliver5893

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
Normally screen tearing is an issue with the GPU; its caused by the frames not being output in time and then not syncing up, giving a jagged sort of look; I sometimes get it when playing certain games on a PC or PS3.

If you get it with some apps that heavily rely on graphics processing, for example games, then its to be expected. If its happening all the time in any application, then the A4 chip may be faulty?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.