Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monocle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Okay. Here we go again!

These excellent forums helped me order my new Quad Mac Pro with the Radeon 4870 card. I queried whether this would work with an Apple 20" matte aluminium cinema display I had uncovered boxed and unopened in my local reseller store. They showed me an identical 20" screen up and running on a new Mac Pro which had the stock Nvidia GT 120 card.

I bought the screen (as yet unopened). I await the Mac Pro. I have just read this...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9463473

Obviously a degree of panic is setting in, as once I open the box to test the screen (when the Pro arrives) my chances of returning the 20" will be minus zero. Apple have pushed me from pillar to post and cannot definitively say whether it will or wont work in these circumstances. My question. is it feasible that it mightn't work with a particular graphics card? Is there any cheery soul out there who can tell me that they have the new Mac Pro, Radeon 4870 and a 20" matte screen that is working perfectly? Thanks chaps!

surflordca

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Okay. Here we go again!

These excellent forums helped me order my new Quad Mac Pro with the Radeon 4870 card. I queried whether this would work with an Apple 20" matte aluminium cinema display I had uncovered boxed and unopened in my local reseller store. They showed me an identical 20" screen up and running on a new Mac Pro which had the stock Nvidia GT 120 card.

I bought the screen (as yet unopened). I await the Mac Pro. I have just read this...

Obviously a degree of panic is setting in, as once I open the box to test the screen (when the Pro arrives) my chances of returning the 20" will be minus zero. Apple have pushed me from pillar to post and cannot definitively say whether it will or wont work in these circumstances. My question. is it feasible that it mightn't work with a particular graphics card? Is there any cheery soul out there who can tell me that they have the new Mac Pro, Radeon 4870 and a 20" matte screen that is working perfectly? Thanks chaps!

Reading your link, if it was me, I wouldn't take the chance that it would work unless the store gave you a written guarantee that you get your money back if it didn't work.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
That question isn't needed. He said: "Apple 20" matte aluminium cinema display". Now I wonder which one is matte aluminum? :D

Monocle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Yes indeed! it is that aluminium model and the one shown in Cynicalone's link. Interesting to note the requirements on that page...

System Requirements
Mac Pro
iMac with Intel Core processor or later*
MacBook Pro
MacBook*
Mac mini
Power Mac G4 or G5 with NVIDIA graphics card or ATI Radeon 7500 or better graphics card
PowerBook G4 with DVI port
Windows PC and graphics card that supports DVI ports with full single-link digital bandwidth and VESA DDC standard for plug and play setup

Still makes me nervous though. I can't see them covering my losses if I open the box and can't return it! You know, I can't tell you how many 'phone calls I've had to make today let alone how many nationalities I've spoken to. An early 'answer' to the problem was to send me an email link to this...

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP52?viewlocale=en_US

Hmm. They meant well but it wasn't really what was required...especially as it was last updated in 2008. A second call saw me passed on from Ireland to India and onwards to the genius bar in Apple's London Regent Street store. The 'genius' there said he didn't understand technical questions about graphics cards. Me neither!

However, the latest effort saw me passed on further to a technical expert - a very James Bond sounding Eastern European lady - who was obviously flipping her way through a weighty tome on specifications and then said she'd get back to me tomorrow after running some tests. Please God I inadvertently got through to Apple's lab. Fingers crossed!

Monocle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
I wonder if I can use those previous links to argue that Apple are implying that the 20" will work? The specifications certainly don't say otherwise. Anyway, not exactly the same issue but here's the latest comment from the Apple discussion forum. I don't fancy my chances of Apple being too understanding if things don't work out...

I returned my first Mac Pro 2009 with the 4870 in it - only to find that my second mac had excact same problem: When I connect my two Samsung Syncmaster 931C's via DVI the USB bus (or at least kyeb and mouse) hangs every 3 seconds. When connected via VGA - no problem.

Apple support where absolute not any help - they s´won't even ship me a diffent card in exchange for the 4870! They told me to call Samsung. As if they could program new drivers - for OS X? duh!

So I'm returning the second Mac Pro and ordering a third - with the GT 120!
Peter

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
If it doesn't work, and your Apple store won't take it back, a quick call to Apple's customer relations will get you a quick return.

Monocle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Point taken! Although I didn't purchase the 20" screen from Apple; it was bought from a local Apple reseller. Really I either need proof that the screen will work or a definite email from Apple saying that it won't. The first will enable me to sleep soundly, the second will give me something to wave at the reseller if I have to beg for a refund...

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
You do realize that the monitor that guy is talking about is the OLD monitors? Not the Aluminum ones... so unless you're about to buy an old old old one, you have nothing to worry about. I have 2 x 20" ACD sitting in front of me, and they work fine.

Andrew

Monocle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
United Kingdom
screen-1.jpg

Well here it is, boxed, untouched and ready to go! The model number is A1081, which makes it a June 2004 to February 2009 display.
The question is Andrew, are you running the new Mac Pro with this selfsame monitor and the Radeon 4870 card in the new 2009 Mac Pro? Apparently the older Pro's have no problems. If you are then it looks as if I'm home and dry. But are you also saying that these guys have a different display?

Thanks!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Duse, you are working yourself into a lather over NOTHING.

Those folks with trouble are runing OLD displays, the clear acrylic ones with Apple's beloved (NOT) ADC connector.

So to run from a DVI port, they require an ADC to DVI adapter, which creates a level of squirrelyness.

It seems pretty consistent that NOBODY has reported ANY trouble with the DVI Apple Displays and a 4870, in fact quite the opposite.

So pull your panties out of the knot and enjoy your hardware.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
Don't worry, Andrew Henry is right.
The guy in that tread at apple.com Is talking about the really really, old ACD.
The ones that were all plastic. Apples first generation LCD displays.
You bought Apples last generation display. It should work just fine.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
screen-1.jpg

Well here it is, boxed, untouched and ready to go! The model number is A1081, which makes it a June 2004 to February 2009 display.
The question is Andrew, are you running the new Mac Pro with this selfsame monitor and the Radeon 4870 card in the new 2009 Mac Pro? Apparently the older Pro's have no problems. If you are then it looks as if I'm home and dry. But are you also saying that these guys have a different display?

Thanks!

If you would have read my signature you'd know what I'm running, IT WORKS JUST FINE! Stop getting all worked up about it, take it out of the box, and freakin hook it up, and enjoy using it!

Andrew

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
If you would have read my signature you'd know what I'm running, IT WORKS JUST FINE! Stop getting all worked up about it, take it out of the box, and freakin hook it up, and enjoy using it!
^+1
Besides, if at the reseller's store they had a model hooked up to an '09 MacPro, advertised it as compatible with an '09 MacPro, and if it doesn't work with your '09 MacPro, you should eb able to return it. You're working up your blood pressure, never good :D

m.chaloner

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
My 20" Alu display I bought in 2006 doesn't work.

here is the proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06BZYdQDz-M

what's strange is that the display works in Windows 7 (using bootcamp) with the latest ATI drivers.

so, it is a driver issue.

I've emailed Apple a few times now, don't know how long I can wait for them to sort this out!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
My 20" Alu display I bought in 2006 doesn't work.

here is the proof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06BZYdQDz-M

what's strange is that the display works in Windows 7 (using bootcamp) with the latest ATI drivers.

so, it is a driver issue.

I've emailed Apple a few times now, don't know how long I can wait for them to sort this out!

Have you tried resetting PRAM etc?

EDIT: or is it simply that the 1680 x 1050 resolution doesn't work?

I have the Mac Pro '08 with Radeon 4870.

At first I had the ACD 23" (not the old ADC version!) and of course, it works perfectly.
Any "normal" DVI based screens (so also all the Aluminium Apple ACD displays too) should work fine with the Radeon 4870.

The much older see-through plastic ADC (Apple Display Connector) are surely unsupported. But, I see no reason why these old monitors shouldn't work with the ADC to DVI/USB/Power adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.