Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
So I've posted a couple of threads regarding annoying Screen Time bugs - incorrect device name in regards to my son's iPhone and mismatch between my iPhone and my wife's iPhone in terms of the usage for my other son's iPhone. Just seems to me that this feature of iOS 12 isn't/wasn't ready for the official release. Hopefully the bugs get enough exposure so that they actually get resolved soon.

MORGiON666

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Australia
Running here 2x parent, 4x kids total of 10 devices. Initally was buggy, turned off screen time then re setup once on GM. Working great now. The only issue I have is I needed to switch ‘share across devices’ on for accurate data.

Downtime is brilliant, I only wish apple gave us this feature years ago.

Would love to see this ported to macOS (not entirely sure it’s even possible).

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I guess they couldn’t delay this as it was one of few major features especially after group FaceTime was delayed. At least we know they put a lot of time into performance enhancements over the last year!

Last edited:

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
Running here 2x parent, 4x kids total of 10 devices. Initally was buggy, turned off screen time then re setup once on GM. Working great now. The only issue I have is I needed to switch ‘share across devices’ on for accurate data.

Downtime is brilliant, I only wish apple gave us this feature years ago.

Would love to see this ported to macOS (not entirely sure it’s even possible).
I wish I could echo your experiences b/c, like you, I feel it would have been great to have these features a long time ago.

Just last night, my younger son's data stopped going across even to my wife's phone. So, I had to turn ST off and then set it up again. Since then, at least both our phones are now getting his data, but let's see how long it lasts.

MORGiON666

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Australia
I think Apple should label it beta like they did with the battery health. I definitely don’t think screen time is perfect yet or even close. It is though, a crap ton better than the version in the public beta and better than nothing at all.

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
It’s super buggy. It reset all my data to zero on my phone yesterday. But not on my iPad. So they’re now showing inconsistent data.

MORGiON666

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Australia
I’ve possibly been lucky, constant data on my devices and the kids, so far so good on my wife’s but I only upgraded hers with the official release.

As stated earlier I did have to select ‘share across devices ‘ to get consistent data.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
They made one super huge mistake unbecoming of Apple. If you turn on downtime and try to launch an app during the downtime period you get the wrong error message.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
I wish I could echo your experiences b/c, like you, I feel it would have been great to have these features a long time ago.

Just last night, my younger son's data stopped going across even to my wife's phone. So, I had to turn ST off and then set it up again. Since then, at least both our phones are now getting his data, but let's see how long it lasts.

Didn't last very long...according to my ST, my younger son was on his phone a grand total of 9 minutes today. On my wife's phone, it accurately shows him as being on his phone for 1 hour 47 minutes.

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
So I've posted a couple of threads regarding annoying Screen Time bugs - incorrect device name in regards to my son's iPhone and mismatch between my iPhone and my wife's iPhone in terms of the usage for my other son's iPhone. Just seems to me that this feature of iOS 12 isn't/wasn't ready for the official release. Hopefully the bugs get enough exposure so that they actually get resolved soon.
I’m having issues too my combined screen time is not matching across devices
[doublepost=1537676554][/doublepost]
It’s super buggy. It reset all my data to zero on my phone yesterday. But not on my iPad. So they’re now showing inconsistent data.
Yeah my screentime won’t show a matching combined time across devices
[doublepost=1537676673][/doublepost]This
Didn't last very long...according to my ST, my younger son was on his phone a grand total of 9 minutes today. On my wife's phone, it accurately shows him as being on his phone for 1 hour 47 minutes.
is the same with my devices one device says my iPhone is a certain time but the other device says my iPhone is completely different and my combined time is different even though I’ve the share across devices option enabled

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Did anyone get accurate data? I mainly use screentime to monitor my son's Fortnite, and it's completely off, reporting 2m when he used 40m. Constantly completely underreporting.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
Did anyone get accurate data? I mainly use screentime to monitor my son's Fortnite, and it's completely off, reporting 2m when he used 40m. Constantly completely underreporting.
Not on my phone. It’s pretty much useless. Even my son’s actual phone is not showing *his* own data correctly.

Right now, my wife's phone is the only phone showing my son's data accurately!

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
Exact same with me. I’ve reported it to Apple and working with a senior advisor who sent it off to Apple engineering so waiting to hear back. Leave them feedback on their website. Apple.com/feedback the more who do the better as they will know it’s not just 1 isolated incident and lots of people are having an issue with screentime

The 12th Man

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Yeah. For some reason, by screen time will reset randomly throughout the day, and I'll loose all the previous data. It's so annoying!

Irishappletech

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2017
Yeah my advice leave apple feedback on apple.com/feedback the more that do the better they may have it fixed quicker

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah my advice leave apple feedback on apple.com/feedback the more that do the better they may have it fixed quicker
It’s definitely not ready. I have no control over what apps show up where. For example I use waze all the time for driving. I wouldn’t consider that worthy of showing up on screen time however it does show up under the category for “reading and reference” and of course it’s the app I use more often during a typical week. I wish I could just choose which apps I don’t want to appear there.

Reactions: AsherN

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2005
Texas
My phone has been showing blank usage (ie, no usage) for both my kids phones for the past week or so.

Their actual phones show their correct usage as does my wife's phone (who is listed in Family Sharing as parent/guardian).

So, she's basically in charge of monitoring and tweaking our kids' screen time since I have no access to any data.

What a joke

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I just noticed my screen time data from last Friday and Saturday has disappeared on my 7. Never had a problem till now. Totally buggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.