Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
today I have begun having a problem that I have had previously but now it is on every app, every time. My screen times out while trying to open it. Weather, runeblade, really anything apple or otherwise. The weather on the watch is near pointless except for the complication on the face. I can take out my phone and google the weather before it comes up on the watch (although I don't "google" the weather, just saying) while also needing to wake up the screen at least once before the daily weather is displayed.

anyone else?

Reactions: goomba478

albertsw

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Yeah its like that for me too a lot of the time. Sometimes weather opens instantly but other rimes the screen falls asleep first. The watch is still a brand new product so I expect a lot of issues like this will be fixed before too long.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Yeah same for me all the time... improved somewhat on 1.0.1 I think... hoping for more improvements with later updates. I pretty much just use the watch, complications, and notifications.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
Hopefully in a future OS update there will be the ability to change the screen timeout time. Also, maybe they will make the screen stay on until the app has fully loaded, or at least an option for those of us who aren't concerned about battery life.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Yes. Because none of the apps other then the native apps by Apple run as an extension of your iPhone, they will be slightly slower then the stock apps. Tomorrow Apple will release alongside iOS 9 the Apple Watch SDK, which will allow developers create/ change their already existing extensions to native apps to run directly from the watch.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Yes. Because none of the apps other then the native apps by Apple run as an extension of your iPhone, they will be slightly slower then the stock apps. Tomorrow Apple will release alongside iOS 9 the Apple Watch SDK, which will allow developers create/ change their already existing extensions to native apps to run directly from the watch.

pretty sure weather is native.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Weather is native. Some apps including weather use the Wi-Fi and bluetooth to download the data. Because Weather is native, it should launch somewhat faster then your third-party apps.

In my original post I specifically mentioned this was happening to weather and that was what actually caused me to post this. I am assuming you read the title and posted away but I could be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.