All iPads Screen tint changes depending on ambient lighting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fattytail, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Has anyone noticed that screen tint changes depending on ambient lighting? My iPad has a bit of the yellow tint issue. But in certain lighting conditions, the screen looks relatively uniform and white. In other lighting conditions, it looks a lot yellower. Odd.

2. TBONE72 macrumors regular

I've noticed this as well. I think fluorescent lighting plays a part in how it looks.

3. PDE macrumors 68020

I've noticed this too on my ipad air but never on my ipad mini or iphone 4. I wish someone could explain, technologically, why this is the case...

4. Radeon85 macrumors regular

I have only noticed this issue on my iPad 3, 4 and Mini Retina. Never had this issue on the iPad 1 and 2, or on any iPhones since my 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 and 5s

Halogen lighting the screen is white but a little warmer, fluorescent lighting the screen can look cooler, yet still nice and white. And direct sunlight on the screen gives the screen a slightly pink/red tint.

I hate going to the Apple store for screen issues due to their very bright lighting, makes the worst looking screen stunningly white and uniform, take them out of the store and it can look like crap.

Doesn't bother me at all as my eyes soon adjust to the colour change and I don't notice the tinting. Only really noticeable when going from one type of lighting quickly to the next.

Would be interested to know why this occurs.

5. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Colour perception is affected by ambient light temperature as anybody doing photography editing will know. Loads of information available if you google "colour perception".