Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
recently my ibook g4 screen has been turning itself off randomly
i have run tech tool pro which found no problems
the screen will just go black at random intervals
i attached it to a external monitor to check and as soon as the ibook screen went black the external display did also
this computer is about 1.5 years old and is out of any type of warranty

if anyone has had a similar problem please tell me what you had to do to fix it or if you were even able to fix it

any tips or help would be great

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
no there is no screen saver the screen will just suddenly turn black sometimes i can get it back by closing the display and putting it to sleep
most of the time i have to hold the power button
when i start it back up everything is fine until the same thing happends again

jimbama

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2006
This happened to me last night for the first time with my imac. Was using Google Earth and the screen just blacked out for no reason- computer seemed to be on in every other way but I couldn't get the screen back until I held down the power key to restart.

A bit unsettling, to say the least....

NIPRING

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Waukesha WI
Are you running Leopard? I installed leopard on my mini a few weeks ago, and i noticed this happens at least once a day. Sort of like its about to start the screen saver but a tap of any key brings it back. Mildly annoying is all :confused:.

Bill

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
Are you running Leopard? I installed leopard on my mini a few weeks ago, and i noticed this happens at least once a day. Sort of like its about to start the screen saver but a tap of any key brings it back. Mildly annoying is all :confused:.

Bill
Sounds like an Energy Saver setting for you, then. That's not the same as me. I can't bring it back once it's gone black.

csteelekaplan

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2008
Same thing

I have an iMac G5 and this started happening to me about a month. I tried reinstalling all of the software and I thought it had solved the problem, but it has started to do it again.

Same as with you, I will be working and all of the sudden the screen goes black. I can't get it to respond although you can hear the machine still running. I have to use the power button to get it to turn off and then back on again.

Another thing that seems to be happening is that the screen will breakdown on the left hand side into a bunch of colors and then the other 75% will turn white. Again, I have to hold the power button down and then turn it back on.

If anyone has the solution, please let us know!

yarinb

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Tel Aviv, Israel
I have the exact same symptom.
My new Penrym MBP screen will suddenly turn black. It happened for 3-4 times in the last week.
My solution is to close/open the lid.

something is bad with 10.5.2 and graphic card driver or something related to it. :mad:

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008

Bill

For your problem.. go to system pref >> displays >> uncheck the "automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.