Screen turns blues periodically.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DubLogic19, Dec 22, 2012.

1. DubLogic19 macrumors member

I've had my MacBook Pro for right around a year and a half now, and I'd say since I've had it it's probably went frozen on a blue screen 5-10 times in that course of time. I've never had the startup to blue screen problem however. The most recent time that it froze on the blue screen was right as I was clicking "Quit iPhoto" from the drop down menu. As soon as I clicked it, it went to the blue screen. Could this be rooted in a deeper problem that could worsen, or is it normal for Macs to do this every now and then?:confused:

2. DubLogic19 thread starter macrumors member

3. Untethered macrumors newbie

Untethered

This is Crunk bro!

All you have to do is simply completely backup your mac, and then eternally reboot it. (That means back it up, and delete everything!) Then, put in your startup disc and then login, and then store all files back.
    (NOTE: Doing this process is taking risk of losing all computer files!)
    Best,
    Untethered

4. Binomio macrumors member

That sounds like an issue with OSX or the hard drive, if you have the install disc you can boot from that and attempt to repair the disk.

5. DubLogic19, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

DubLogic19 thread starter macrumors member

But what are some more specific reasons as to why it is doing this and is there any other way than such drastic reboot OSX solutions?

Edit: WHY would there be an issue with OSX to begin with?

6. saytheenay macrumors member

It could be one or more bad sectors on your hard drive, or it could be that your ram is failing/defective.

Look up Apple Hardware Test for your model and run it off your mac os CD or the recovery partition. It will find if you have bad ram. Then, boot off your mac os cd or recovery partition and run Disk Utility. Repair your hard drive and mac os partition (run both).

If the hardware test finds issues, set up an appointment at your local Apple store.

7. DubLogic19 thread starter macrumors member

I ran the hardware test (extended) and the progress bar got all the way to the end, and it would never seem to finish, finally I just cut it off and booted up normally. Anyway around this problem?

8. saytheenay macrumors member

How long did you run the extended test? I have a rmbp and mine took over an hour. Without a SSD, I would plan on at least 2-4 hours, maybe longer.

9. krravi macrumors 65816

Looks like as soon as you quit iPhoto, the screen refresh routine is hanging up.
    There were a lot of updates to iPhoto recently, hope you have all the updates.

Uninstall iPhoto and download and install again and also check your logs for iPhoto.

10. DubLogic19 thread starter macrumors member

Well I tried it again last night, only this time I was running the standard test, I let it sit there for over 2 hours atleast before I cut it off, I guess next time I'll let it sit there overnight or something...

11. saytheenay macrumors member

Interesting. The standard version of the hardware test shouldn't take more than an hour (even on an older system)--only the extended version takes a long time (because it checks every detail of the system). Something could be off with your logic board, hard drive, RAM, etc.

If you have AppleCare, make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

If you don't have AppleCare, look for a 3rd party Mac repair shop (and look for reviews of them online). Since the success of the Apple Stores, a lot of these 3rd party Mac repair shop bend over backwards to fix systems at reasonable prices.

12. DubLogic19 thread starter macrumors member

Screen turned blue less than 15 minutes apart...after I Quit Logic Pro and again after quitting Chrome. This is getting way past annoying.

13. DubLogic19 thread starter macrumors member

14. DubLogic19 thread starter macrumors member

Unchecking Graphics switching in System Preferences has fixed the problem.