Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I’m almost certain back with iOS 9 or 10, the screen would stay on if iPhone was plugged in and I was listening to music.

I did some searching online and can’t find any reason why Apple changed this, such as for security or something.

What do y’all think? I used to like it because I could keep it in my ProClip in the car and easily select a different song or Podcast.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Are you sure you simply didn’t change the setting for the screen turning off after a certain amount of time? I don’t remember the screen ever not turning off even while plugged in.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I’m almost certain that was the case. The screen would dim, but I could do my 30 minute commute to work and not have to unlock the iPhone, I think as long as I stayed in the Music or Podcast app. I can’t remember when this changed though.

jaska121

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015
Yep, I remember this was the case a while ago. Don’t recall how it’s done today but probably the screen turns off.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I’m going to submit a suggestion through the Feedback app. Maybe there’s a security reason? Either way. I’d like it back.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I’m almost certain back with iOS 9 or 10, the screen would stay on if iPhone was plugged in and I was listening to music.

I did some searching online and can’t find any reason why Apple changed this, such as for security or something.

What do y’all think? I used to like it because I could keep it in my ProClip in the car and easily select a different song or Podcast.
You're not imagining things, it did work that way, dimmed, but, stayed on. I'm using 11.4.1 and testing this, so, now I know, I didn't accidentally go out of Music app, this is turning off. That's Fracked up!

I started off (years ago) using Pandora and it stays on when plugged in, always has, and it does not dim, I actually prefer this. Overcast also stays on when plugged in.

So, yeah, there should be the option to leave it on. In the meantime you could:

Settings>Display & Brightness>Auto-Lock>Never

Maybe a siri shortcut could be made to set this to Never and another to set it to 2 Mins. (or whatever)?

(I'm reading a bunch of iOS 12 threads to see if I want to put the beta on now.)

I sent Apple feedback (https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html) , this is just stupid! Every other music app I've used stays on when plugged in!

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I remember this from back in the iPod Touch days, so that was a hell of a long time ago. No idea what version of iOS.

But yeah it doesn't do that anymore and hasn't for a while. You can change the screen timeout/lockout in display settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.