Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
My macbook's screen starts to turn white, the actual machine itself is not freezing as I can still hear sound etc. I also had the macbook hooked up to a external monitor while this is happening and everything was fine on the external and I was able to continue working without any issues.

The macbook in question is a 6.1 model. I had heard that this could be the cause of the LVDS cable that runs to the LCD and camera which I had replaced but it seems to be still doing it.

Now my guess is my only other option is LCD? Can someone point me in the right direction for the LCD part? I find them on ebay for about $50-$80, while the Apple genius say's its a $450 item.. Hard to believe there is such a great deviation price wise?

Also is there a difference between glossy or matte finish? I believe mine is currently glossy, does that mean I need a glossy one and couldn't go with matte?

Any input?

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
You can swap it for a matte. The screens have the same type of connector are are otherwise identical. As for the whiteness (is that even a word?) its almost definitely the cable between the lcd and the logic card, or the connection on either end. I've seen this issue on dozens of laptops, macs and windows machines alike.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
You can swap it for a matte. The screens have the same type of connector are are otherwise identical. As for the whiteness (is that even a word?) its almost definitely the cable between the lcd and the logic card, or the connection on either end. I've seen this issue on dozens of laptops, macs and windows machines alike.

I changed out the cable last night for a brand new cable.. It's was still doing it after I put the mac back together.

Seems to be figidity at some tilts and start fading white..

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I changed out the cable last night for a brand new cable.. It's was still doing it after I put the mac back together.

Seems to be figidity at some tilts and start fading white..

Perhaps its the connector... I mean no offense with this, but are you sure you put it together correctly? If its slightly loose in either end, it might appear as the same fault.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Perhaps its the connector... I mean no offense with this, but are you sure you put it together correctly? If its slightly loose in either end, it might appear as the same fault.

Yah no idea.. the end on the logic board threw me off a bit while looking at it but maybe that is the case.

I'll peel it open again tonight and see. I'd hate to have to buy the actual LCD.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Yah no idea.. the end on the logic board threw me off a bit while looking at it but maybe that is the case.

I'll peel it open again tonight and see. I'd hate to have to buy the actual LCD.

You'd see all kinds of gfx faults if the LCD was knackered. I seriously doubt its the LCD. I mean, I once had a bloody rainbow on the screen. Lit up like a Christmas tree.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
You'd see all kinds of gfx faults if the LCD was knackered. I seriously doubt its the LCD. I mean, I once had a bloody rainbow on the screen. Lit up like a Christmas tree.

So your saying, its probably based at either the connector ends or the cable is getting kinked?

Anyway to test out the LCD for sure? So I don't try to troubleshoot the cable/connector issues..

Because all I keep finding is that the LCD is bad and that this is a common thing?

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
So your saying, its probably based at either the connector ends or the cable is getting kinked?

Anyway to test out the LCD for sure? So I don't try to troubleshoot the cable/connector issues..

Because all I keep finding is that the LCD is bad and that this is a common thing?

Yeah, that's my bet. Yank the LCD and test it in another laptop. That'll rule it out fer sure.

Well, if the connector is busted on the LCD, then the LCD is the faulty part. If you want to get technical. But from what you wrote, it doesn't seem to be a fault with the actual LCD panel, but possibly the connector. Although, if that is the case, you will have to replace the LCD altogether. So in a way, you're right too.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Yeah, that's my bet. Yank the LCD and test it in another laptop. That'll rule it out fer sure.

Well, if the connector is busted on the LCD, then the LCD is the faulty part. If you want to get technical. But from what you wrote, it doesn't seem to be a fault with the actual LCD panel, but possibly the connector. Although, if that is the case, you will have to replace the LCD altogether. So in a way, you're right too.

Alright thanks for the info.

Do you have any idea what type of backlight the LCD uses I have? I just keep looking around for pricing for the actual LCD in case I do need one after all I and keep seeing this

Backlight Type: LED (NOT CCFL)

While some ADS show as CCFL, some are LED.. what do I have lol?

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Alright thanks for the info.

Do you have any idea what type of backlight the LCD uses I have? I just keep looking around for pricing for the actual LCD in case I do need one after all I and keep seeing this

Backlight Type: LED (NOT CCFL)

While some ADS show as CCFL, some are LED.. what do I have lol?

I've swapped CCFL and LED LCD's with each other in the past on other Laptops (for simplicities sake lets call them PC's. Even though its incorrect.)

I have not yet done so on a Mac. So I can't guarantee anything, but there shouldn't be an external difference between the two. The connectors and the dimensions should be the same. I emphasize should, as i no longer trust apple with anything hardware related after the stunt they pulled with the MBP-12.

Let me just point out that i have close to nine years hardware related experience with PC's, but only two with Macs. I got into the game pretty late.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I've swapped CCFL and LED LCD's with each other in the past on other Laptops (for simplicities sake lets call them PC's. Even though its incorrect.)

I have not yet done so on a Mac. So I can't guarantee anything, but there shouldn't be an external difference between the two. The connectors and the dimensions should be the same. I emphasize should, as i no longer trust apple with anything hardware related after the stunt they pulled with the MBP-12.

Let me just point out that i have close to nine years hardware related experience with PC's, but only two with Macs. I got into the game pretty late.

Thanks for the info. Turns out the particular LCD my macbook has is infact LED I managed to find that information yesterday.

Took the mac apart last evening again, might have found a decent kink in the cable it was twisted pretty good at one part. I straightened it out and started re-assembling everything. Did not have a chance to finish it as I wanted to take my time and try to avoid any small mistakes.

Also I ensured the connector on the LCD itself was fully locked in and properly connected. So hopefully tonight I'll keep working my way towards the logic board end and see how it looks. Might leave the trim off this time around in order to get better access to the cable while mac is running.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Well after numerous taking apart and putting back together, I was not getting anywheres with the cable replacement.

Took the bite and ordered a LCD panel from http://www.laptopscreen.com ~85$ shipped (very quick).

Replaced the panel, fired up the macbook and it runs flawlessly. Turns out it was the panel the entire time.

Thing runs, before it would even start fading white during boot up. So turns out my issue the entire time was the actual LCD and not cable. Luckily the cable was only $15.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Well after numerous taking apart and putting back together, I was not getting anywheres with the cable replacement.

Took the bite and ordered a LCD panel from http://www.laptopscreen.com ~85$ shipped (very quick).

Replaced the panel, fired up the macbook and it runs flawlessly. Turns out it was the panel the entire time.

Thing runs, before it would even start fading white during boot up. So turns out my issue the entire time was the actual LCD and not cable. Luckily the cable was only $15.

Hmm, I guess I was mistaken after all. Oh, well. Good that you got it sorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.