Screen washed out - 2.2? Can't be?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Unnamed1, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Unnamed1 macrumors member

On Leopard I used a color profile that was posted on here for the 9CA3 screens - it looked great.

After installing Snow Leopard and using this profile again my screen seems a lot more washed out. Is this due to the gamma increase to 2.2? If so where can I change this in the color profile to match the original.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try recalibrating the screen. Ghat should resolve the problem

3. Unnamed1 thread starter macrumors member

Do you mean creating a new profile? I tried to do that but it just ended up looking horrible :(

I was just wondering if I could use the color profile and reduce the gamma in that file somehow?

Thanks

4. dgm macrumors member

snow leopard has completely screwed up my display as well. I'm so fed up, ready to go back to leopard.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Increased gamma will do the opposite - make the screen look less washed out.

6. Unnamed1 thread starter macrumors member

I have been doing some research on this and apparently Snow Leopard has some issues with color management - there is a big thread about it on the Apple forums which I will try and dig out when I can.

Basically I downloaded an override file for my monitor 9CA3 and defaulted to the old Leopard Color LCD profile and it looked a lot better, but the icons are still washed out and my screen colors still don't 'pop' like they did under Leopard.

I think I am going to downgrade until they fix this. Knowing my screen can look stunning is enough of a deal breaker unfortunately.

7. kolax macrumors G3

8. Unnamed1 thread starter macrumors member

Right did a clean install today and again it looks the same. Basically after reading up on this it seems the dock icons are brighter for some reason.

They look really washed out - I have seen quite a few comparisons of how the dock icon looks different to the icon in the program etc.

I hope they fix this soon :(

9. kolax macrumors G3

Shame it isn't something that can be captured easily - a screenshot won't retain the Color Profile (as far as I'm aware..) but you could try anyway?

10. Unnamed1 thread starter macrumors member

I have found the thread I was referring to. It's a subtle change, but I really do notice it being a designer etc.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=779711&page=2

Here is a test that you can do yourself. Look at the dock icons, and then look at the applications folder using coverflow in Finder. The colors are a lot richer in the Finder.

Here is my Photoshop icon too: (top = finder / bottom = dock)

[​IMG]

Not a major issue but at least I know it's not just me now :)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You don't need to reinstall the OS, you need to recalibrate your display. Either go through the wizard to recalibrate it, or use a hardware device. I recommend the latter if color accuracy is highly important.

12. Unnamed1 thread starter macrumors member

I have calibrated it - every time the dock colours come out looking washed out while the rest of the OS looks fine.

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Umm, then maybe you're calibrating it wrong? I can't even see the difference in the pics from your previous post, except the black border (due to bad cropping).

jW

14. Unnamed1 thread starter macrumors member

I would happily try someone else's color profile for Snow Leopard.

I have a 9CA3 panel, but am willing to give anything a go :)

15. Elzlaik macrumors regular

I noticed the exact same thing on my March 09 iMac. The icons are subtly paler than they were before Snow Leopard install. I was using the Windows Gamma settings before, too. However, the colours look great on my MacBook Pro. I thought I was going mad, at first, but I noticed it straight away after the installation and everyday since. Seeing your post, I now realize I am not crazy. I tried calibrating but I must suck at it, because it always comes out looking like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

16. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I have noticed the same thing with my display as well. I did a clean install and I have used many different color profiles for my display, but nothing fixes it. Really disappointing...

17. Merlyn3D macrumors 6502

Have any of the updates for snow leopard fixed it?

18. zeezon1990 macrumors newbie

can anyone share a correct color profile for 9CA3 in SL, thx

19. zeezon1990 macrumors newbie

can anyone share a correct color profile for 9CA3 in SL, thx