Screen washout with 1.1.1?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Avatar74, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Poll: Has anyone else noticed that after the 1.1.1 update, the screen looks considerably more washed out, especially when watching movies with lots of black in the frame?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Still looks the same to me. I'm watching the Tommyknockers right now and I can't tell any differance than before the update. Blacks still look fine.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Nope.

1.1.1 actually improved my blacks as I no longer see tiny dots in them. It really didn't bother me before though.

Just another freebie in 1.1.1 for me. Good upgrade.

5. Avatar74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nuts... guess my experiment didn't demonstrate what I was hoping it might.

I made this up to see if anyone would bite. What I've noticed is a tendency for people to succumb to groupthink... that is, if someone starts reporting a positive or negative change in functionality (e.g. "it works faster") after an update, other people start crawling out of the woodwork insisting that they've noticed a change where possibly none actually exists.

What I'm trying to do and maybe you guys might have some ideas about this... is to see what methods of phrasing the question will coerce people to think they too have a problem or benefit that doesn't actually exist.

I'm interested because I see a lot of people jumping to infer all kinds of cause-effect relationships as a result of peer influence rather than objective, controlled analysis. Sometimes, if you identify the condition of what it is you're looking for, rather than objectively observing for any number of unidentified flaws, you'll bias people... testimony is, unsurprisingly, the worst form of evidence.

I guess my attempt to spread a rumor for research purposes didn't work here for a few possible reasons...

1. Sample size too small. I didn't wait for at least a hundred respondents.

2. Previous information disseminated (regarding the white dot fix) already creates a bias condition contradicting my made up claim. I wanted to come up with something clever and the closest I got was pointing out a contrast problem where one is typically common with ALL LCD screens... LCDs of all sizes and prices are poor at displaying correct black levels and often look washed out because unlike CRT's they require an always-on backlight which bleeds some light into adjacent pixels. I thought someone might notice the joke.

3. I didn't set up a few "plants"... preselected responders who would offer false testimony to create a group bias to get the ball rolling.

4. Question phrasing... I kinda threw together the question quickly. Possibly if I rephrased the question or drummed up an anecdote to further reinforce my "experience" I would have induced a stronger bias.

Any thoughts?

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

No issues here.

And be sure I get credit in your paper to American Psychology, okay? :D

7. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Yah. Thanks for wasting our time.

Some people would call you a nimrod for doing so.

Not that I am (calling you that) mind you.

Much.

8. Geffen macrumors 6502

Well so much for your credibility in posting information here, I guess some people have to much time on their hands.